Archinect
anchor

Deciding between USC, CMU, Cal Poly SLO, Syracuse, and Cooper Union for B. Arch.

KeysOfHues

Money isn't an issue for my family, so I would like insights about the focus and quality of each program.

Apr 2, 19 9:43 am
workmorelivemore

If money isn't an issue for your family, then I suggest visiting all of those schools in person. When you are there try and get into the studio spaces (legally) from 8-10 pm and ask the students there. While Open Houses may be informative, they are also heavily staged. 

Apr 2, 19 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
If money isn’t an issue, you surely stand a better chance of succeeding in this profession. That said, why would you choose a college like SLO?
If it was me I’d choose Cooper Union, but yes, better to visit the colleges in person, see who the faculty are, and what their Focii are. Also, a lot depends on where you want to end up working after your graduation.
Apr 3, 19 1:08 am  · 
 · 
BR.TN

Choose the B.Arch at Cooper Union. 

Cal Poly SLO is your runner up.

Apr 3, 19 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Go the cheapest option and turn the money you save into a commission for/from the family. Nothing starts a career better than a little nepotism and a commission by mum and dad ;-)

Apr 5, 19 6:58 am  · 
1  · 
KeysOfHues

For those of you who recommend that go to Cooper, why is Cooper historically ranked in the teens for the DI rankings? Instead of blatantly stating to choose Cooper, please provide an explanation. I know it has a huge reputation in the east, but from what I’ve gathered so far, it doesn’t nearly have the reputation in the west.

Apr 9, 19 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Any other adult decisions you need us to also make for you? All that money, no smarts.

Apr 9, 19 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes, FU

Apr 10, 19 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

University of Florida? Good suggestion.

Apr 10, 19 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
KeysOfHues

I hit "send" without a second thought when I had the word "blatantly" in there. Sorry for sounding like a twat. Haha.

Apr 9, 19 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

If you have the money to play the game, NYC is the place to be.  You are in proximity to the superstars and the media establishment that makes the stars.  Do well in school, but network like crazy whenever you can.

Just know that you will need more money after graduation to build a project or two of your own and then publicize them.

You might also want to go to an Ivy for an M.Arch.

Apr 10, 19 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

First, what are the criteria by which you want to make the decision?

Reputation, location, degree type, study abroad, faculty, etc.

All of the programs you list are legitimate, but why do YOU think one is better than another.  

Best.

Apr 10, 19 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: