Archinect
anchor

Accepted to Carnegie Mellon and Cornell, now I just have to choose

August F.

Currently a HS senior, recently got accepted into the B.Arch programs at both Carnegie Mellon and Cornell. From what I've gathered so far, Cornell is ranked higher and has more name value, but they both carry a lot of weight within the industry. 

I know the decision will probably just come down to finances, but I figured I'd ask you lot which is the better choice.

Mar 31, 19 12:02 am
geezertect

I think you've already answered the question.

Mar 31, 19 11:16 am  · 
 · 
alex.h

Come to Cornell Architecture ! it's fun 

Mar 31, 19 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

post pictures of the dragon from this year . one of the better ones since they stopped burning them.

Apr 1, 19 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

cheapest option is best...specially if you’re the type that needs to crowd source important adult decisions. 

Apr 1, 19 7:17 am  · 
tduds

As much as I'm tired of the incessant 'What should I do?' threads around here, I think I'm more exasperated by the cynical assumption that these threads are the entirety of anyone's decisionmaking process. Let 'em get input, man.

Apr 1, 19 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

this doesn't actually matter as much as you imagine. i mean if you're asking for advice with so little context about yourself your considerations or your aspirations it probably doesn't matter at all.

but cornell does have a starchitect designed studio building, so it would be weird and subversive of you to choose anything else. support famous architects, patronize their clients!

Apr 1, 19 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but, as a counter-point, Carnegie Mellon is a funnier sounding name. That has to have some value.

Apr 1, 19 9:06 am  · 
 · 
midlander

it's actually kind of interesting reading about who ezra cornell was (invented glass insulators for telegraph lines). carnegie of course the infamous robber-baron industrialist, and mellon a big time banker. i think on name it's actually a draw.

Apr 1, 19 9:43 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

cornell

Apr 1, 19 8:50 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

What is the finances situation?   Graduating CMU debt free would beat running up a bunch of debt at Cornell.

Apr 1, 19 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My knowledge of either program is over a decade old, so things may have changed, but my initial impression has been that CMU is more technical, Cornell more artistic.

Apr 1, 19 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: