Archinect
anchor

University Decision Help !! Sci-Arc (M.Arch II) (2 Yrs) VS. Umich ( M.S )( 1 Yr ) VS. UCLA ( M.Arch II )(1 Yr )

Feras91

I'm an international student and I just got accepted to these universities but I'm undecided right now though I am leaning abit toward UCLA, here is what I'm thinking so far :

- A graduate program concentrated in fabrication, robotics and technology which and all above universities have that, besides sci-arch which is a just a regular M.arch II program ( but would be able to take electives ).

- Universities with the best reputation for work opportunities after for my  OPT. 

- Though I would like to work on becoming Accredited architect in US it is not a main priority but would be a plus since I'm planning to go back home eventually. 

-  Is one year be enough time or would a two year program be better in the amount one ? Tuition cost not being a factor as I will be on a scholarship. 

the pros and cons of each university so far :

Sci-Arc 

Pros : In LA, NAAB Accredited for licensure , Great Environment, Professors and reputation.

Cons : Not a University, Program not concentrated on fabrication and technology, Ive heard that it's too theoretical and visual and isn't practical as much when employed.

Umich 

Pros : Very good research university, excellent facilities. Great Global university ranking #20

Cons : Weather in Ann Arbor, Not NAAB Accredited 

UCLA

Pros : Suprastudio looks exciting, professors and facility is excellent, in LA

Cons: Not NAAB Accredited 

I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me :)

Thank you   

Mar 30, 19 7:18 pm
Tejavu

The program at U-Mich is accredited, as per their website. 

https://taubmancollege.umich.edu/architecture/degrees/master-architecture

Also, check if a one year program is recognised by your home country. Being an Int'l student myself, there are some conditions imposed by my home country if I ever want to get into academics.  

Apr 1, 19 3:09 am  · 
 · 
Feras91

the U-Mich program that I applied to is actually the Master of architecture design and research Program ( M.S ), but yes all programs are recognized back home, so I'm still deciding between them 

Apr 1, 19 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Unless you have a digital - fabrication background, choose the programme that is longer than 1 year if possible - you will need this time to develop a strong position and networking which is equally important to your studies and future career  - 

Personally, I prefer the climate of California over Mich where you have to deal with winter - 

Apr 2, 19 6:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: