Archinect
anchor

Help me critic my portfolio

GinX

I applied to mostly M.Arch I programs and got accepted to SCI-Arc and Pratt, as well as the MDes in GSD. My background is in computer engineering and only attended Harvard's career discovery (now design discovery) program one summer and had one studio class in college. Even though grad school application has long passed, I want to improve my portfolio for the future. 

Link to my portfolio: https://issuu.com/xu.mirah/doc...

Thank in advance for everyone who is kind enough to provide valuable feedbacks :)

Mar 29, 19 8:41 pm
lat8r

If you're gonna use maps straight from google, turn off the stores (& street) names! I'd suggest making your own maps

Take care too of the resolution of your images, some look low res.

Practice photography and photo editing & lighting, especially for your opening project - all the photos really let you down. They're not good quality, (unless that's an overlay?) and the composition of most doesn't look intentional

I like all the drawings you have. Some of your sketches would benefit from you messing with the contrast or level adjustments in photoshop only so they're crisper imo and the texture of the paper isn't so prominent.

Overall tho, pretty nice for non-arch bg

Mar 29, 19 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
GinX

Thank you for the feedback! I thought using Google Maps would give it a realistic-ish feel but guess that doesn't translate as well. I would definitely make a drawing of the maps.

As for the resolution of lighting photo, that's actually a choice I made to have all the "progress" sketches to be faded out and looks like etching on concrete. I guess I had the priorities backwards as far as presentation goes :/ I am gonna redesign the whole thing and have the focus on the works instead of the "theme" of the portfolio 

Mar 29, 19 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Nice cover, the window to... kinda has a The Circle vibe.  

Page 1: That plan can be sooooo much better! This is the first thing and I want to close out. Min effort improvement: break out some Sketchup and mass out all the buildings and draw the streets. Go top view, export, turn off lines and turn on shadows, export, combine in Photoshop, it'sa multiplying! Sprinkle on some textures or greenery, ooooooohh, it's getting spicy

Mar 29, 19 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Dang, 1/4 of my comment posted

Mar 29, 19 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
GinX

Awww dang, I would love to see the rest if you don't mind typing it again lol. But this already helps a lot. Thanks!!

Mar 29, 19 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: