Archinect
anchor

Licensing as an International Student

rsalomon

Any international students who are working as licensed architects in the US?

I got accepted into UTSA, which is now STEM-coded and offers the possibility of obtaining an OPT extension after graduation. I also got accepted into Texas A&M, which has a much better quality of education compared to UTSA, but does not offer the extension since it's not STEM-coded. 

My main goal is to stay in the US after graduation. However, I'm not sure whether it's possible to get a working visa if you aren't licensed. I've been reading the NCARB website; although it's possible to complete hours in your home country + internships, it seems unlikely that a student can complete the licensing process right after graduation.

If I go to UTSA, I might get a chance to extend my OPT have 3 years post-graduation to get licensed. If I go to A&M, I would have 1 year only, but would receive a much better education and connections. I'm unsure about what to do.

Mar 24, 19 6:35 pm
Steeplechase

Licensure is not a prerequisite for obtaining permission to work.

Mar 24, 19 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
rsalomon

I wasn't aware of this. Thank you.

Mar 25, 19 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

"My main goal is to stay in the US after graduation."

Illegally? 

Mar 24, 19 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: