Archinect
anchor

Easy to Transfer to a prestigious University? USA

paolobarkett

I'm still a high school student. It came to my realisation that the majority of the good undergraduate architecture courses in the US (B.arch) come from more "niche" architecture or design schools (Pratt, SCI ARC, RISD...etc) (of course some very prestigious universities are still up there). And that the best Architecture courses for graduate are highly dominated by world renown universities (Cornell, Yale, Columbia..etc) rather than the smaller architecture/design universities. If you get into one of the smaller universities that are still regarded as a great architecture course for B.arch is it easy to transfer to architecture courses at the more renown universities? what does it take (what would the universities look at)? and also is there a high chance of you getting in after you completed (B.arch) and apply for Masters at the prestigious universities? 

Mar 24, 19 4:42 pm
Anon_grad2.0

what do you consider “small”, but still great? SU, UT, Virginia Tech, Cal Poly all have incredible programs. 

Why would anyone want to do that? Financially it doesn’t make sense, odds are you’ll have to start a program over because course sequences are different. 

I’ve known people who have gotten into “prestigious” schools after graduating from small state schools. It’s a matter of taking advantage of the opportunities you are given. 

Mar 24, 19 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

When you say "transfer" do you literally mean during undergraduate?  If so it's possible but I don't believe many transfer students are accepted.  I went to an undergrad program that would fall under your definition of "smaller design university" and I had a classmate transfer during undergrad to Cornell.  I would assume he wasn't able to transfer many credits but he did get accepted.

If you mean "transfer" as in attend one of the "prestigious" schools for graduate school after undergrad then absolutely.  Again I had classmates go to GSD, GSAPP, etc. because they were great students with phenomenal portfolios.  In this field the quality of your portfolio is going to drastically outweigh the name on your degree.

Mar 25, 19 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: