Archinect
anchor

Lighting design

ata13

Is Architectural lighting a good field to do a masters programme in? What is the scope in this field and is it too technically oriented?

Mar 25, 19 8:42 pm
Non Sequitur

architectural lightning sounds pretty damn cool.  Maybe try that.

Mar 25, 19 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

Look at RPI.

Mar 25, 19 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
eyeofthepeacock

So glad to find this gem of a thread :)

As a CDN arch lighting student I can confirm that yes this may be one of the coolest subjects. There is a PT program offered at Ryerson in Canada, which is sadly, the only one up here. RPI facilitates research and much more. European schools seem to be the best and Parsons in the US along with a couple of others. 

I'd recommend joining the IES and IALD pronto. Rich in resources.

As someone who does not have an academic background in architecture ( some supplementary education),  my biggest observation along with the entire lighting industry is the gap between each discipline. Its very rare that architects consider lighting and defer it to electricians who are usually only designing to meet code. Hence all the bad lighting that surrounds us. 

I've come here to pick all your brains and find out how lighting people can better work with architects and persuade your bunch to realize the importance of it. Quality light that is.

I will return with more pointed questions.

Any thoughts and ideas would be most welcome in the meantime.

Cheers!

Jess

May 10, 21 12:03 pm  · 
1  · 
caramelhighrise

Ive considered getting into lighting design but don’t have an electrical engineering background and that seems to be a major prerequisite for some of the programs I’ve researched. Any advice on learning more without quitting my arch dayjob to go back to school? I’m in the US if that helps.

May 15, 21 11:43 am  · 
 · 
eyeofthepeacock

In answer to your question ata13 it is extremely technical on just a continuing education level. A Masters, exponentially more so. 

I will try and draw some accomplished lighting people from such programs to better answer any questions.

May 10, 21 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
RValu100

It takes a lot of light to make it dark.

May 15, 21 3:24 pm  · 
1  · 
eyeofthepeacock

Many in the field come from a electrical (engineering or otherwise) background. I've been told that it's "not required" as a lighting designer but it's like being a chef that doesn't understand how a kitchen works. Depending on where you are, academic options will vary. Youtube  Uni has some great crash courses. I am considering an 6 month Electrical Foundations program in BC, alternately I may just shadow an EC for a couple weeks seems more reasonable. In short, understanding how to read RCPs, power and electrical plans are crucial. Understanding voltage, code and power loads are all elements that you may not be directly responsible for but they will inform your design and product selection, placement. In North America - the LC designation is the most credible to have and tests on all areas of required knowledge  https://www.ncqlp.org/About  the idea is that an LC will eventually be able to stamp approval like a P ENG. 

The https://www.iald.org/  &   https://www.ies.org/

are both incredible resources for lighting information.

Sep 13, 21 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Abie

I've asked one of my friends, and she told me that architectural lighting is becoming too technical these days. Nevertheless, I think that it's an excellent choice for a master's program.

Sep 23, 21 3:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: