Archinect
anchor

M.Arch at Columbia GSAPP or Pratt

CampariSoda

Heyy everyone,

I am admitted to both Pratt an Columbia for the M.Arch program. Pratt offered me a scholarship and an advanced standing, whereas Columbia offered neither of them. I am in a desperate need of opinions from insiders from those schools.

I studied in Germany and I am actually more into thoroghly thought-out designs and less into (purely) form-based and artistic style in architecture. As of my online research, Columbia matches my interests better. But it will be a huge financial hardship for me to study there. 

So my question is: Is it worth to study at Columbia and venture getting a huge amount of student loan? At Columbia, I have to cover my study expenses for 3 years without any scholarship. On the other hand, I can finish the program in 2 years at Pratt and I will have to pay a fairly less amount of tuition fee thanks to the scholarship Pratt offered.

Mar 16, 19 8:02 pm
archinet

Pfff- was denskt du?? Do your masters in Germany or Switzerland where it is free or waaaay cheaper and the quality of education is the same. Do not go into dept especially considering you can easily avoid it! 

Mar 17, 19 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
autofun

I, too, would love some input on the matter. I am in a similar situation, except for MSAAD at GSAPP and MSArch at Pratt. While Pratt has offered nearly 50% scholarship (on their already lower tuition fee), GSAPP has provided none. Both are year long courses.  

I am actually more into thoroughly thought-out designs and less into (purely) form-based and artistic style in architecture. As of my online research, Columbia matches my interests better. But it will be a huge financial hardship for me to study there. -This is somewhat true for me as well. The issues GSAPP deals with and its studios seem way more exciting to me.

Mar 17, 19 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
workmorelivemore

Oh, I feel for you. If going to Columbia is going to be a huge financial hardship, then I would recommend going to Pratt.

The heavy financial burden will most likely affect you and your school work. You most likely will not be able to do as well as you like which will hinder you from impressing your profs, crits and fellow students (future colleagues). Thus negating some of the benefits of going to a top school, with the added financial aftermath

Many of Pratt's profs are actively practicing, so I suspect it is not as form-based as their instagram shows. Plus if you go to Pratt you will still be able to attend the public lectures at GSAPP and sit in on crits. 

I have heard of GSAPP students who did not receive any financial aid their first year, but got some in later years. It's not guaranteed though.

Mar 18, 19 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

Honestly if you want to come back to Germany your GSAPP degree won´t be as impressive as it is in New York. Plus you will have all the debt that will hinder your chances or ever having your own studio. I would go to ETH far cheaper and highly regarded in Germany of Europe or somewhere free like UDK.  

Mar 19, 19 4:32 am  · 
 · 
home_alone

I went to Pratt and had many friends go to GSAPP. New York is a small scene and many of the prof’s actually teach at both schools. I would go Pratt all the way for the money.

Also Pratt facility much newer and nicer but I think Columbia has a new bldg coming up.

Mar 20, 19 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: