Archinect
anchor

M.Arch - UBC or Carleton ?!

dezeener

Hi there,
I've been offered acceptance at the schools in Canada I've applied to-hooray! I've narrowed it down to UBC and Carleton, mainly because of the research and opportunity available at UBC, their emphasis on sustainability and how close it is to my home of Alberta. Carleton, has a very new program and I don't know much about it, but they've offered me funding and a TA position off the bat. I guess any insight to either school and your experience would be great, I'm really torn because of how expensive UBC will be in comparison to Carleton..

Mar 15, 19 5:44 pm
Non Sequitur

both schools are comparable. Take the cheapest option. 

How do you figure Carleton is new? Their March has been around for decades. 

Mar 15, 19 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
dezeener

Thanks for your answer! I think they rebranded or something as the Azraeli school of architecture that gave me that impression. I could be very wrong. Out east is foreign to me

Mar 15, 19 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

They got a donation and renamed the school a long time ago.

Mar 15, 19 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
workmorelivemore

Have you factored in the cost of flights back home if you were to go to Carleton? Because that might even things out for you.

Mar 15, 19 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

I think Non Sequitur is correct, the only major changed at Carleton is the addition of the "Studio One", which added a year to the M.Arch program (Total of 3 years) allowing students with non-architectural background to apply as well. Aside from that, I think I have read many many MANY posts about how Carleton M.Arch has been going downhill (Sorry I cannot recall the reasons). Personally, I would choice UBC; amazing city, love the curriculum, the school is recognized worldwide, tuition is VERY reasonable when comparing to other Canadian ivy architecture school like U of T, weather is amazing and for you... it is close to home. And I do not know if this matters much, but I think UBC's M.Arch is much more competitive then Caleton's in terms of getting accepted... CONGRATZ!!!!. That said, I do have a question for you, did you turn in your results of your GRE for UBC's application or applied without it?

Mar 17, 19 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

there are no ivy schools in canada and even if there were, UofT would not be on that list. For what it's worth, I turned down a full-paid M.arch ride at Carleton to be wait-listed at UBC... to then ditch that when I was accepted to Waterloo. That was 13y ago.

Mar 17, 19 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

True, sadly U of T, along with McGill, UBC, etc. are considered the "Top Universities"in Canada, i guess that is what i was referring to. Anyways, I would too turn down Carleton even if it came with fully paid tuition...however, I would do the same if Waterloo offered me that too. I guess what I'm getting at is that it depends on what is important to you. I been living in Toronto for 15 years, and I don

Mar 18, 19 12:10 am  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

(cont. from previous comment) What is important to you: location, lifestyle, program curriculum, tuition, living cost, etc... I moved to Sudbury for B.Arch, and after living there for a week, I wanted to blow my brains out. I moved back to Toronto the week after. So, consider everything that will effect you for the time you going to spend there... I hope this helps you Dezeener! Best of Luck!

Mar 18, 19 12:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sudbury? Man, I can see that. Typically you’d think quality of education will compensate for a shitty location, but damn, Sudbury gets two Xs on that list.

Mar 18, 19 6:00 am  · 
 · 
dezeener

This is quite helpful, to make a decision alone based on curriculum just won't be enough for me. And I left my GRE out of it-the more emphasis on my portfolio and not my average grades the better haha. Thank you for the insight!

Mar 21, 19 10:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: