Archinect
anchor

Honestly how hard is it to get AP?

Igzz

This is about admissions to master of architecture program. I'm pretty curious to know how hard is it to get into m.arch with AP (advanced placement) to those school such as Harvard GSD or MIT or Princeton. Have heard that it is competitive and I've tried to find some numbers or stats online but couldn't find much info. Also what are the chances if you graduated from an international university, will the academic background be sufficient for those school? 

Some from my uni have said that it might not worth to try apply for AP since its pretty difficult...

Mar 21, 19 9:02 pm
Igzz

Hey actually you can ignore this post, i posted a while ago and just got approved as I was curious before my admission result. Buy anyway this could be helpful for the future applicant! Thx

Mar 21, 19 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
architekkk

​Hey I saw your post that you got accepted to GSD with AP.. Could you give some tips to apply for AP?Thanks

Sep 10, 19 7:57 am  · 
 · 
ham1

I wanted to bring this thread back as apps begin for Fall 2023. 

I was curious, are applicants to M.Arch AP still considered for the standard M.Arch I program if they are rejected? I would love to go to GSD for 5 terms instead of 7 since I have a BS Arch but if I had the opportunity to go I would rather just apply to the standard M.Arch I program. 

Aug 30, 22 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
ham1

I put this in another thread but this one might be more appropriate.

I was curious, are applicants to GSD's M.Arch AP program still considered for the standard M.Arch I program if they are rejected? I would love to go to GSD for 5 terms instead of 7 since I have a BS Arch but if I had the opportunity to go I would rather just apply to the standard M.Arch I program.

Aug 30, 22 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
autofireunit

1. you can't apply to AP, you will be applying to MArch 1. The admission will decide if you will be sent into AP.

2. because of the answer 1, if you get rejected from AP (which there is no process like this), you will not get a second review (chance). They decide if you are admitted or now, then they will decide if you are AP or not.

- from a GSD AP. 

Aug 31, 22 12:21 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Fun anecdote.

I went to an undergrad BS Arch program, 4 years unaccredited.
However, it was generally well received as a first degree for accredited masters programs. They had their own accredited master’s program was only 1.5 years for their own undergrads because the BS program covered so much of what was required.

I went to grad school elsewhere, and got in a typical 2 year program (the normal 4+2 situation) but they even gave me credit towards that 2 year program. They wouldn’t let me not take classes, but I got to skip two structures classes and do electives instead :)

Anyway, I knew two people who went to Harvard from the undergrad and still had to do a full 3+ year degree…. Because school is a business.

The moral of the story is. Don’t waste your money if Harvard isn’t helpful. Great scholarships and/or short program, great. Rich Parents, great. 3 years full price, don’t do it when you can save 100k+ somewhere else.

Sep 1, 22 9:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: