Archinect
anchor

Learning Software

TeddyVON97

Hello!

I just got into my dream M.Arch I program. I have visual art/drawing skills but I don't know how to use architecture softwares yet and I want to come into my program with some working knowledge of them.

Could anyone suggest which softwares/programs would be the most useful to learn? Additionally, if you know of any online videos/tutorials/classes ect. to help me figure out how to use said software, that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the help!!

Mar 1, 19 11:50 am
yanfenchan

Rhinoceros is used most widely I guess and youtube is the best tutor.

But for different programs / schools, they might use different software to support their research. eg. grasshopper, maya, houdini, c4d.... there are too many.

If you can tell us what the program is, maybe you'll get more specific suggestions.

Mar 1, 19 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
Depends on your grad program... but most schools you could get through with just Rhino and Illustrator. Photoshop would help, and grasshopper for rhino would be critical for some programs and totally optional for others.

100% start with Rhino.
Mar 1, 19 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

A lot of universities are using Rhino / photoshop / illustrator combo but for me, if i had to do school over again, i would use Vectorworks (which my previous office sold me on). However, if you have no technical experience with programs, i would recommend that you feel around with sketchup to get the basics of 3d modeling and when you feel confident enough, switch over to "big boy" programs like Rhino.

In terms of the working profession, AutoCAD or Revit would be your best bet. But school =/= work so pick your poison. 

Mar 1, 19 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

I resist learning software, I do nicely with a pencil, T-square and paper!

#Resistlearning software

Mar 2, 19 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
theTguy

For drafting and line work start with: autocad, illustrator.

For 3d modeling start with Sketchup (simplest and quickest, best for straight line masses) and Rhinoceros (easily adaptable with autocad and other softwares, better for more sophisticated curving designs. can also use plugin such as grasshopper later for getting a taste for parametric designs)

Mar 4, 19 2:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: