Archinect
anchor

Coding for architects

Gaidamack

What coding language would help me as a young architect starting his career? I'm pretty good with all software I've been using (Rhino, Revit, c4d...), but I've never written a line of code in my life. I was looking to expand my horizons a bit more and start learning coding to help with design, and to broaden the possibilities, I guess.  

I'm pretty familiar with grasshopper, and was thinking about python as it is relatively easy to learn. But I guess my question is: Is there a demand for these kind of skills in renowned architecture firms around the world? I really don't want to see my self approaching 40 y/o and start hating on the kids who are way more skillful and smart that me because I think that ReVit Is ThE bEsT SoFwaRe yOu KiD's gEt DoN't uNeDrStanD AnYtHiNg. I always had problem with my old professors as they have not been able to keep up with the new developments and still think that the only way  to design is with you holding a pen (it's not, it is also a way, a designing with a computer is another way, you still need to be a good architect to produce good stuff either way, it's not the point here, I just hate this dichotomy).

So, is an architect learning to code worth his time and money?

(I lot of these questions came to me after looking up this Masters program in IAAC https://iaac.net/educational-p...)

Feb 27, 19 5:07 am
archiwutm8

Learn to code and just leave the profession

Feb 27, 19 6:13 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

Just learn how to google.

Feb 27, 19 6:18 am  · 
1  · 
Gaidamack

3 years.

Feb 27, 19 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How much real experience do you have using Revit in the work place?

Feb 27, 19 9:10 am  · 
 · 
archinet

learn python to get a job outside of arch and earn more money- besides you can use it for rhino, gh and revit

Feb 27, 19 9:49 am  · 
1  · 
gibbost

Pursue what you are passionate about.  If you enjoy being under the hood--inside the software, tinkering around--go for it.  It's not necessarily going to make you a better architect.  You will, in fact, become the defacto IT/software guy/gal in the office.  No different from the 'nuts and bolts construction guy' or the 'quality control redline girl' or the 'esoteric design dude'.  

If that excites you, then continue down that path.  Like most things in life, we fall into alignment with things that excite us and we find ourselves good at.  If you're in a decent office, management will see your passion and place you in a role that gratifies and validates that spirit.  

Feb 27, 19 10:31 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I'm teaching myself Dynamo, but it is more for BIM management purposes than generative design.  I noticed we waste a lot of time setting up sheets and views, so I'm hoping to create a few scripts that can make that process more efficient.

If you don't have a ton of experience, it is hard to know what skills you *may* be able to develop to be of more use to your firm.  I'd recommend getting in the trenches for a bit, find what you're interested in, and then work on developing skills to pursue your interests more specifically.

Feb 27, 19 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

C# and Python

Feb 27, 19 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
billyguarino

'R' is potentially a program to look into. I've been wondering if it is worth taking a class on it focused on Environmental Data Visualization.

https://flowingdata.com/2016/0...

It's allegedly trending right now? Does anybody have any familiarity with this software and its use as a skill set?

Aug 14, 19 2:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: