Archinect
anchor

UVA or VT for undergraduate architecture?

bobman

Virginia Tech or University of Virginia for undergraduate architecture? I am having a really difficult time making this decision! I've read the great reviews and rankings for Virginia Tech architecture, but I don't seem to come across many for UVA. I've toured the schools and gotten a feel for the campuses as well as blacksburg and charlottesville, so I am famililar with those aspects of each school. People keep telling me that I couldn't go wrong either way, but I'm looking to know what is the best option! any comment or opinion about either of the programs would be incredibly helpful! thank you!

Going to graduate school definitely interests me and I hear that UVA undergrads get into to Ivy League graduate programs regularly, is this true?

I have also heard that VT's extra-regional reputation is bad, while UVA is a nationally renowned school. Any comment can help me out, thanks!

Feb 23, 19 11:42 am
arch76

Tour both campuses, ask questions, see what feels better for you... B'Burg and C'Ville are both great places to spend your college years. I went to VT in the late 90s and it seemed to have a more forward thinking bend, in contrast to what I understood as a strong historical/classical view offered at UVA. I am sure that things have changed in 20+ years. I have worked with alums of both schools, and both turn out perfectly serviceable members of the profession.

Feb 24, 19 12:17 am  · 
 · 

4 years (meaning grad school) or 5? That's your first decision.

Feb 24, 19 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I've heard UVa's classical tendencies have slacked.  

In the end, it comes down to if you want to do grad school or not. Tech's undergrad has been consistently ranked among the top 10 schools (ranked 1 at one point) in recent years.  

The two graduate schools are ranked very similarly.

I can't say I've heard anything about "VT's extra-regional reputation is bad".  I'm sure if you talk to a UVa grad, they're going to sing the praises of UVa, and likewise, Tech grads will do the same.  

I can tell you this much, I've never worked with a UVa grad.  I've worked with Tech, Tennessee, Norwich, Minnesota, and Ohio State.  I can't tell you why I've not come across any.  Could just be a lower student population and geographical issues. It seems odd though, that I've not encountered any, being in Virginia. 

Feb 25, 19 8:24 am  · 
 · 
allumers

not sure why this person hasnt encountered UVA alums either^ 

UVA grads are everywhere. and the alum network is strong. i've moved states (dc to nyc) and there's always been alums willing to help out with job opportunities. every job i've applied to has had UVA alums. 

i graduated not too long ago and had to decide between the two too. i chose UVA bc it gave me options to take more non architecture classes in case i decided arch was not for me. ended up sticking with it though. i do agree that a 5 year degree is easier but there's now more alternative ways to licensure if you do decide not to go back to grad school. uva used to be more focused on theory than tech but curriculum is always changing. studio options have grown immensely now with studios traveling to arctic cities (can't remember which), germany, nyc, etc. and study abroad programs are great.  

yes, UVA has a reputation for sending their undergrads to great grad programs but its not a guarantee. grad admissions is up to the individual. but i will add that all my classmates/friends are at gsd, berkeley, uva, michigan, penn, gsapp grad programs. 

& not trying to start anything but wanted to add that although i havent checked rankings in a while but i do not think the grad programs are similarly ranked (UVA being more highly ranked). UVA's undergrad program isnt ranked bc its a 4 yr degree and not 5. 

cville is a great town to be in js 

but it does come down to which program is more suited for you and what you'd like your school experience to be like 

Feb 25, 19 9:37 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Per Design Intelligence rankings, Tech has been a few slots ahead of UVA the last two years for graduate ranking. Couldn't find a 2016 list that included UVA, but Tech was listed in the top 10 there. I'd assume there wasn't much separation between the two. Given that it's almost always 2 or 3 slots difference, I wouldn't go hanging my hat on either being much better than the other. The choice for the OP really has to start with their genuine intent to accumulate debt going to grad school. If they decide they don't really want that, then the choice seems plain to me. If they're willing to accept that debt, then it's a difficult choice.

Feb 25, 19 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: