Archinect
anchor

Tu Delft, rejection based on portfolio

Aymenhq

Hello I was applying to Tu Delft for a master program, and unfortunately I received a letter of rejection and here what the wrote for me. 

Your application has been rejected for the following reason(s) : 

- The Selection Committee considers the quality of your portfolio              insufficient.  

- Basic knowledge of applied building technology is not clearly                  demonstrated.

You can find my portfolio at this link: https://issuu.com/aymenhq/docs/portfolio-aymen_ahmed_musa_saeed/10

I need some help and advice to improve it in order  to have better chances next year.

Feb 18, 19 9:55 am
randomised

Some general pointers on the portfolio, not going into specifics here:

- A portfolio is a design project in and of itself, as important (at least) as the projects IN the portfolio

- So, design a cover that makes people want to flip through the folio to begin with and add a proper back page to finalise the folio

- Be more selective of what you show (and what not) and how you show it, don't throw everything on a page, don't underestimate the power of white space on a page.  Build a narrative for the portfolio as if you're doing a pin-up

- Typography (and graphic design) can be your friend

- Edit your texts, don't over explain; you're audience are professionals. And spell check and proof read the hell out of it (especially your letter)

- Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Feb 18, 19 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Aymenhq

Thank you for your advice..!!, I will try to do my best..

Feb 18, 19 11:00 am  · 
 · 
proximity

That portfolio is WAY overcrowded. Some of the work is nice but you just have way too much in there, you don't need cram every sheet with as much work as possible. You don't need 10 exterior renders for a single project. Quality over quantity. I would go way over to the other side of the spectrum and try presenting your projects in a compelling manner while limiting yourself to one piece of work per sheet. This will help parse out work that isn't necessary. Then you can find a balance between that and and add work where required (emphasis on required) to describe the project. And again go way over to the opposite side of the spectrum and give yourself huge margins and in your next revision find a balance between that and what you have now (which is basically zero margin).

Re: Layout; Some projects have their "intro" page on the right side of the spread and some have it on the left side of the spread. Don't do that. Pick one, for a good reason, and stick with it. On at least one spread you have images from one project on the left side and images from another project on the right. Definitely don't do that. When putting my portfolio together I had 4 or 5 different formats for laying out in intro spreads and painstakingly chose the one that works best. And, if it's not clear, stick with that exact format throughout.

Your text needs work as well. Some places you're justifying and some places you're left aligning. It's all very confusing and not cohesive.

Re: the work itself: Your renders are flat and uncompelling Some sections are as well. It seems like you took base renders from whatever program, added a sky/silhouettes, and called it a day. They need more post processing than that. Same with section drawings - they should get developed more.

You have a lot to work this here but need to work on the presentation. Looks up other portfolios on issuu for guidance or inspiration

Feb 18, 19 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: