Archinect
anchor

Is it worth getting licenced as an architect through the RAIC Sylabus program in Canada?

jamesAmckinnon

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the sylabus program recently and if I could get some advice on pursuing this option to become an architect.

I have a Drafting and Design diploma as well as a Power Engineering diploma which is not a professional engineering degree just to clarify because some people get confused by the name. It is just a diploma but I have gained useful knowledge through both of the programs I went through. I have spent 4 years in school and have finally started doing something I actually like doing at 23 years old. I work at an architecture firm in a beautiful location with some great coworkers. I am doing drafting and design work but have always had a strong attraction to becoming an architect and regret not doing that in the first place. I thought the schooling was too long of a process but I am more focused on stuff that really matters now and have decided to spend my career in the architecture field.

My dilemma now though is that I really want to become an architect as I always have but now I really don’t want to go back to school and build up even more student loans and start my career over again when I am 30. So I have been thinking lately that the RAIC sylabum program might be the best way  for me to accomplish what I want to while still being able to save money and build up career capital. 

If anyone has any experience with the program or knows someone that has done it and is willing to share their thoughts or advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot!

Feb 17, 19 12:38 am
Non Sequitur

the syllabus is built for people in your situation. It’s long but it will allow you to gain the required education while maintaining your career path. Hopefully there is an active RAIC circle in your area. 

Feb 17, 19 7:55 am  · 
 · 
jamesAmckinnon

Okay thanks for the info! I have read that it will take 7 or more years? Has this been what you have see
n in the past as well?

Feb 18, 19 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
jamesAmckinnon

Have you ever heard of anyone being able to get accepted to a masters program after completing all or some of the sylabus program?

Feb 18, 19 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The RAIC is an alternative to the M.Arch... there are no cross-overs and you need to pick either one. The RAIC is typically 7y unless you get some credit for existing coursework. This is a case-by-case thing so can't say much.

Feb 18, 19 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
jamesAmckinnon

Okay good to know. Thanks!

Feb 18, 19 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My advice is to set realistic deadlines for completion. Have a plan. Have a plan. Have a plan.

I have a coworker who's been "1 year away" from finishing.... for like 4 years now.  

Have a plan.

Feb 17, 19 9:16 am  · 
 · 
jamesAmckinnon

Okay thanks for the advice! Have you ever heard of anyone getting accepted into a masters program for architecture after completing some or all of the sylabus program or is that something that’s not even possible. Just wondering if my two diplomas, work experience at an architecture firm, some sylabus courses and a good portfolio would get me even close to being accepted into a masters program. Or is that stric
tly for university graduates?

Feb 18, 19 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

M.arch require a bachelor degree (at the very least) for acceptance. The RAIC Syllabus is not a bachelors... not even close.

Feb 18, 19 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
jamesAmckinnon

Okay thanks for the information!

Feb 18, 19 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

It is equivalent to a M.arch once completed. Don't let NS dumb it down. I have 9 design studio to complete plus the same University theory classes to complete as the traditional route, all while working full time.

Sep 24, 20 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hip, I know you're responding to me because this thread was necro'd by the below comment... but the intent of my comment here was to explain the entry requirement differences between syllabus and a university masters degree. Besides that, the level of difficulty between syllabus and most M.arch is not the same.

Sep 24, 20 12:50 pm  · 
joannasot

As a senior level student in Syllabus at the last part of the program which is the graduating research and design project I would like to know what the difference of difficulty is between syllabus and M.arch that you are claiming? I find lots of people who have not enrolled in Syllabus like to claim they have knowledge about the program without first hand experiencing, leading to misconception of the program to people who actually would benefit from this.

Oct 11, 21 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
joannasot

As a senior level student in Syllabus at the last part of the program which is the graduating research and design project I would like to know what the difference of difficulty is between syllabus and M.arch that you are claiming? I find lots of people who have not enrolled in Syllabus like to claim they have knowledge about the program without first hand experiencing, leading to misconception of the program to people who actually would benefit from this.

Oct 11, 21 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ not sure why you redirected this thread, but since you implied I don’t know anything about the syllabus, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to know that my office is heavily involved in the syllabus and even I am personally responsible to supervise one applicant’s prof hours. The syllabus serves a purpose and that is to offer an alternative path to qualify to write the ExACs. The academic level, on average, is not great nor are the projects the studios pump out but that’s expected with mostly self-guided studies. There is more structure and greater academic effort, in general, in most M.arch. Which is why it’s 2y to 3y worth of school vs 7+.

Oct 11, 21 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But to add to the above, I constantly flip in favour of and against the syllabus. My main beef is that you don’t get anything after completion other than the ability to write the exams. At least a M.arch is recognized as an advanced design design with many more opportunities beyond architecture. I just hate the thought of a technologist running the syllabus gauntlet and still staying a tech afterwards.

Oct 11, 21 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
stanleonowicz

The RAIC syllabus program is affiliated with Athabasca University.  It is possible to obtain a Bachelor of Arch. Science degree with completing only six design levels. (out of a total of 8 plus thesis)  I just finished D6 (design level 6) but enrolled in D7.  I already have a Bachelor of Technology degree from Ryerson so I won't bother applying for the B.Arch. Sci. degree.  I haven't heard of anyone jumping to another university for an M.Arch after getting the Athabasca B.Arch. Sci., but I don't see why it isn't possible. The one caveat I will say about syllabus is that you require an enormous amount of self-discipline.

Sep 24, 20 12:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: