Archinect
anchor

Entry level salary expectation

ff9208

Hello all,

I am graduating from my MArch program this May, and have been applying to a number of jobs. A lot of them ask for a salary expectation amount as part of the application. I understand this depends on the specific city, but what is a fair range? I don't want to shoot too high and be disqualified or shoot too low and settle for a low salary. 

In case it matters, I am just under 2000 hours on AXP, highly proficient in Revit, LEED GA,.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 19 10:45 am
Witty Banter

I would use the AIA salary calculator as a starting point and then try to talk to some peers in that region/experience level to confirm accuracy.

Feb 12, 19 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How can you have 2k in experience hours yet no idea what the salary ranges are?

Feb 12, 19 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Bench

US allows you to begin logging experience hours as a student. So most likely, the OP has been in summer positions at a student-rate while logging the hours there (good job!) - but that doesnt translate into entry-level graduate positions.

Feb 12, 19 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

damn... We used to be able to do that, 12y ago. Can't log hours prior of M.arch now.

Feb 12, 19 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Yep - which is why I will qualify for my US license well before my canuck license ...

Feb 12, 19 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

want me to sign your hours for canadian IDP?

Feb 12, 19 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Fortunately I am sorted on that front, the network back home has been very supportive of that. Just need to knock out 80 hours of contract negotiations and I am set! Much appreciated though.

Feb 12, 19 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

http://salaries.archinect.com/

filter by experience in your area.

Feb 12, 19 11:10 am  · 
 · 
ff9208

Thank you everyone. And yes, what Bench said. I have interned for several firms on an hourly pay. 

Feb 12, 19 11:25 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You should apply for the jobs and ignore the salary range request.  Don't divulge the salary you are willing to accept before you find out what the employer is willing to pay.  

Feb 12, 19 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I agree with thisisnotmyname - best approach is to ignore it. The company will have an allowable range for the position; they already know what they are generally going to pay you. Focus on submitting the best application/portfolio that is going to push you into that upper range. Let them make the first move.

Feb 12, 19 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The entry position salaries will vary somewhat between locations, but cost of living will vary a lot. You may be priced out of some cities right out of the gate, and only kids from wealth need apply. 

Establish a budget first. If you have a lot in student loan debt, that changes your numbers a lot. If your rent and student loans alone go into $2k+/m territory, then an entry position of $60k in NYC will have you living like a subway rat. 

Feb 12, 19 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
shazaaammm

Man, it really depends on your city! I recently graduated M.Arch in NYC (with a bit of experience, though mainly in design focused internships) and I out of school worked at a small 5 person firm and got paid around 48k+ a bonus. A few months later I got hired at a larger (200-400 person firm) and my salary (still considering this entry level because the out of school experience I had prior to that was under 6 months) was 59k. 

I'd say if you are a recent grad in NYC, with a bit of experience, ask for something like 54K from a smaller firm (they might not be able to match that, but know your value). At a bigger firm, again its experience dependent, but you could try like 60k.

Hard to say what the right amount is, as my numbers are pretty NYC centric. Know your value, and consider what your experience is and what you can bring to a firm. 

Feb 14, 19 10:14 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

If it were just somehow possible to convince all graduates to do this at once, but I wish graduates started demanding the same amount that our engineering equivalents demand.  Let's push those starting salaries up to $70k y'all.

Feb 14, 19 11:06 am  · 
 · 

its really annoying that firms ask fresh grads to state this. in nyc i'd ask for $65k. to be clear, that's probably pushing it and higher than what is average. if they like you though, they wont be too deterred by your number being a bit high. really, the firm should understand that since you're a fresh grad salary numbers are foreign to you.

Feb 14, 19 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

^^^This is good advice. Remember firms are pretty dang busy right now, and most firms will try to beat you down a little from your first number. So ask a bit high. But also, look up the AIA salary results - they are floating around here somewhere, I think.

Feb 14, 19 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
shazaaammm

65K is high, but I don't think its unreasonable. Especially at a larger corporate firm, you should shoot high. They'll talk you down but at least they'll know you value yourself.

Feb 15, 19 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
starling
You can also visit the firm page you are interested in on Glassdoor and view salaries that are posted by employees of the company, based on title and years of experience.
Feb 14, 19 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: