Archinect
anchor

How to Find Housing as a young Intern Architect

Hello,

I am a first year architecture student who lives in Pennsylvania but goes to college in Ohio. I have already had two internship and racked up a decent bit of AXP credit hours -- but I'm starting to think about the possibilities of employment this upcoming summer. 

This past summer, I worked at a firm in my hometown, so housing was no problem. Currently, I'm working on campus at my University's Architecture office, so again, housing is no issue since my dorm is like a 15 minute walk from the office.

However, this summer, I am looking at opportunities in Ohio -- specifically Cleveland -- since that is where many graduates from my school go, where I've made contacts via career fairs and firm visits, d because I just feel like that may be the place where I end up to work professionally day. 

So, my question is: how can I find housing in Cleveland if I don't have family there? I know I could probably sublease or rent a place, but with a 3-month nonsalaried "paid by the hour" internship... that would probably net me close to zero profit. Do you think some firms might "subsidize" me to live somewhere since I'm a student intern from out of town? Is that even a thing?

Thank you for all the feedback in advance. 

Feb 5, 19 3:47 pm
Non Sequitur

why would anyone pay for their intern labour's living expenses?  There is no shortage of fresh grads willing to work for nearly nothing as it is.

Feb 5, 19 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Get a job that pays a decent wage. Don’t accept lousy pay for “experience.” Live some place cheap, not in the middle of the trendy area. If other students are seeking work there too, then find a roommate. 

Feb 5, 19 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

Sorry but I don't see any situation in which a firm is going to subsidize your housing.  To be blunt a summer intern just isn't that valuable, particularly when you've already stated this area has a steady supply of students from your school.

Look for a cheap sublease with lots of roommates or continue interning in your hometown.  

Feb 5, 19 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Someone at a college or university in Cleveland may be seeking to sublet their living space for the summer.  I would check around those places.

Feb 5, 19 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

I know of a few situations in which architect employers have provided housing - and they've all been cautionary tales.  It would be better if you can find housing on your own.  If your university has a housing network try that.  Also if there are colleges in the area where you'll be interning try their networks too - somebody might have a room to sublet for the summer. 

Problems with accepting housing from an employer are:  1. they may be offering housing because they think they can get away with paying less (or nothing).  2. If the internship somehow goes very badly and you want to quit, you're kind of in a bad situation if you're living in employer-provided housing - you may need to get out very quickly.  3. Some employer "housing" solutions are pretty ridiculous - there was somebody who posted on this forum awhile back about a firm with interns living in an outdoor garage/barn loft. There was also one where the employer felt they could use the intern's apartment for showering during the day.  There are even people who have been expected to live in the office!  

Feb 5, 19 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: