Archinect
anchor

Architects- Appointing Sub Consultants

MEPEngineer

Hi All,

MEP Engineer that’s been long time lurker, first time poster.

I’m looking for some advice as to how Architects pick which sub-consultants (specifically MEP) to work with & what would generally work in an engineers favour when trying to gain an introduction with view to form a working partnership.  

I appreciate any and all comments.

Feb 5, 19 3:54 pm
thisisnotmyname

If you participate in local AIA events, you will be able to meet and network with a lot of architects.   

Reliability in meeting deadlines and turning in accurate drawings is very important to architects.  Architects also appreciate it when you listen to their input on fixture/equipment selections.  Sometimes architects have to change their designs, and it helps if the engineer doesn't treat every single change as an expensive additional service.

The most successful engineers we deal with have their drafting situation figured out.  The bad ones can't draw and use drafting services, their kids, or some other arrangement that often leads to missed deadlines and/or bad drawings.

Feb 5, 19 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Experience on similar project types & scales.

Experience with applicable state & local idiosyncracies in requirements for bidding, deliverables, etc.

Good references.

Willingness to offer solutions within the client’s budget.

Willingness to educate the client and project team, patiently and tactfully – and to not self-destruct if, despite that education, the best solutions are not selected for the project.

Ability to meet deadlines.

Willingness to immediately fix your mistakes, on your dime.  (If I’ve had to send the specs back to you 5 times and they still have empty fill-in-the-blanks this time, even if fewer than last time, fixing it for the 6th time had better not show up on your invoice as additional services!)

Consistency and competency of primary project contacts – i.e. if you have 4 different project managers during the CD phase, or if I clearly got your “B Team”, I’m less likely to call you next time.

Ability to work in same BIM and spec softwares as the rest of the project team.

Ability/willingness to conform to architect’s document standards and formats.

Feb 6, 19 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: