Archinect
anchor

Master in Materials Science after Architecture?

Kienai

Good morning,

I am currently in a Master of Architecture at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and have made a high school diploma in sciences.

In parallel, I was studying for a degree in Construction Engineering in Paris, which I will not continue this year. The field of construction is very technical, I didn't find my place, and am afraid of having broken all links with the basic sciences!

Architecture is an exciting field, but I don't want to work in an agency. I am interested in research, especially in physics. Maybe in a research laboratory linked to an architecture agency (like AMO/OMA or GXN/3XN...)

I learned about Masters in the United States, is it possible to integrate without having a bachelor corresponding to the subject ?
I am interested in the Master in Materials Science, to design new materials for construction or a Master in Physics, a field that I have always appreciated ! I have a hard time finding some information or testimonials because the architecture is so far away from scientific training...

Which master's degree could be interesting to combine with a master of architecture (preferably related to physics) ?

Thank you for reading me !

Feb 3, 19 3:03 pm
Kienai

Thank you very much for your answer !

I will look at all the links and programs of the schools you are talking about !

So, instead of going to materials science, I will learn more about chemistry.
I understood that it is important to have a good level of physics or that I manage to combine the two formations.

The field of physics pleases me more than chemistry. Do you think it would be wise to do the opposite: a master's degree in physics with a minor in chemistry if possible?

In fact, I don't know all the existing trades around materials and research in architecture agency laboratories. If you have any information, that would interest me a lot! 

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

Feb 3, 19 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

You’re taking advice from someone who doesn’t know anything...

Feb 3, 19 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Kienai

Do you have information? I am open to all opinions

Feb 3, 19 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

No, just giving you a warning not to take advice from this particular individual.

Feb 3, 19 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Kienai

Oh, ok thank you !

Feb 4, 19 8:20 am  · 
 · 
cadip

I don't know too much on this subject but when I was researching graduate programs I came across University of Michigan's Master of Science in Architecture concentration in Digital and Material Technologies. https://taubmancollege.umich.e...

I don't know anything more about the program but thought you may find it interesting! 

Feb 4, 19 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
Kienai

Thank you very much for your suggestion! I am going to take a closer look at this university program!

Feb 5, 19 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

When I think of physics I think of Newton's laws of motion and mechanics in general. Architecture is pretty damn stationary. This is not a great combination, or perhaps a very niche one. 

Thermal physics does have a lot of application in architecture, but I don't think that's what you have in mind. 

There is a lot of innovation in architecture but a lot of it comes from chemists working for Dow or whoever. Thermoplastics, thermostets, elastomerics. These have all changed how building are put together greatly in last few decades. Some days I wish I had a chemical degree. I can trust properties of materials based on test results, but without really understanding what is going on. 

Feb 5, 19 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Kienai

Thank you for your reply ! 

Are people working in the design of new materials chemists or chemical engineers as previously mentioned by JawkneeMusic? 

Is material science closer to mechanical engineering or physics rather than to the innovation of new materials?

Feb 5, 19 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Virginia Tech offers a Master's in Materials Science

from their website:

"A degree from the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) in Virginia Tech's nationally ranked College of Engineering will open many doors for young engineers at all levels. Graduates from Virginia Tech's MSE program work in fields such as fiber optics, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas production, metal casting, semiconductors, cosmetics, failure analysis, patent examination, equipment design, quality assurance, technical management, sales and marketing, product development, and many more.

Materials scientists and engineers focus on

• studying properties and structure of materials
  • creating new and better materials
  • improving existing materials
  • selecting appropriate materials for a wide range of applications"

The French engineer Claudius Crozet was very active in the area in the first half of the nineteenth century so the OP would be in good company. 

Feb 5, 19 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Kienai

Thank you very much for your suggestion! :)

Feb 6, 19 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Kienai

I will take a closer look at the program of this university

Feb 7, 19 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

You can study Building Physics. 

https://www.arup.com/expertise/services/buildings/building-physics

Feb 5, 19 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Kienai

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion! I have already taken courses in construction and civil engineering, in which we did building physics, but it remains a very technical field ...

Feb 6, 19 6:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: