Archinect
anchor

TU Delft approach

matteofontana

I'm thinking of applying to TU Delft for next year but since I have some serious preconceptions about it I would like to see if someone attending Delft can clear up the mess I've in my mind.

• Is the school approach really technical and focused on sustainability or is it possible to even find good theoretical/compositional studios?
  • How such a large institution can provide good support to each student. Isn't it dispersive to be in a 3000 student-faculty?
  • Is this school worth it compared to other top architecture academic institutions (GSD, MIT, ETH, ...) ?

I hold a bachelor of science in architecture from IUAV University of Venice with one year spent at Accademia di Architettura di Mendrisio (CH) where the approach it's more practical and focused on the story behind the project rather than on it's technical issues.

I wouldn't like to lose the chance to deeply study a project within its social-politic context because I'm stuck in solving energetic efficiency issues.

Many thanks!

Jan 29, 19 8:13 pm
randomised

TU Delft houses many approaches and it is up to you to find what suits you best, or come up with your own approach. You can easily focus on the technical/sustainable side if you want or go the more theoretical route, delve into socio-political aspects or go all out in digital, scripting, complex form making etc.

The faculty is large, which helps with having decent facilities but the design studios are small, like 12-15 students, so you have plenty of interaction with your design tutors and fellow students.

Is it worth it? What do you want to get out of it, what do you want to study and where you see yourself working?

Did you even check what are all the possibilities in Delft, all the different Chairs and Professors and what they teach? Maybe start there...

Jan 30, 19 3:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: