Archinect
anchor

BArch a second time - is it worth it?

T?TFF

Hey everyone,

I found myself in quite a dilemma recently. Currently I am studying BArch in Germany in my third year. A couple of months ago I realized that the education in my school is not sufficient to me, it is too practical, very "applied" and not as conceptual as I would like it to be. (Yes, maybe it's good getting a job, but it lacks creativity and a conceptual approach.)

At the same time, comparing my and my fellas portfolios to portfolios from renowned schools I realise that I probably wouldn't be able to get into a MArch programme at a school I would like. 

Now I am thinking of applying for a BArch programme for the second time at one of the renowned unis (Bartlett, TU Delft, ETH Zurich, Manchester, Glasgow...). But I am not sure whether it's worth another 3 years and loads of money (and dutch courses for Delft) or if I should try to get into a good MArch programme on another way. 

Did anybody had experience with situations like these? Maybe applying from an unknown school? Or does anybody studying at one of these schools can tell if its really worth it? 

Huge thanks to everyone in advance!

Cheers

Jan 22, 19 1:45 pm
Non Sequitur

It's not worth the extra 3+ years and boat loads of money.  A more practical education will get you, and allow to keep, jobs.  It's up to you to push for creativity in your project... don't just assume it'll happen just because you switch venues.

Jan 22, 19 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

Finish your BArch and apply for any MArch you want! You're almost done...

Do competitions in the meantime if you want portfolio upgrades...or work in an office.

Jan 22, 19 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Don't do it.

In my experience, theoretical and conceptual architecture programs, (in the USA at least) are echo chambers of opaque gibberish.  Student grades are based on how much the teacher a) thinks you look and act edgy or cool and/or b) wants to have sex with you.

Jan 22, 19 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
homme_du_jura

No.  You'll be wasting time and money.  Better to finish, work for awhile and save money, then pursue a masters at a more "conceptual school" if you wish.

Jan 22, 19 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

No, getting a redundant degree is not worth it.  If you're that concerned with the quality of your portfolio either revise your projects or look for competitions that could result in more interesting materials.  School is great but it's only a small fraction of what you will ultimately need to learn to be successful.  

Jan 22, 19 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I've driven my car with 190,000 miles to work the past two days because the other car with 176,000 miles won't start.

Not worth it. 

Jan 22, 19 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: