Archinect
anchor

M.Arch portfolio:review

satyajeetsahoo

This is the link to my new portfolio, which i have created recently for applying Masters degree in these listed colleges. Kindly advise in which pages i need to improve and the presentation in whole.

Im planning to apply for master's in these following Canadian universities

1.University of Manitoba

2. Carleton University

3. Ryerson University

4.University of Guelph 

issuu link of my portfolio:

https://issuu.com/sathya.j.sat...

Jan 12, 19 1:59 pm
Non Sequitur

The folio is generic enough to sneak in safely if you have above average grades... plus you'll be paying international tuition so, extra incentive to take you in. Chan-Ching!  The schools you picked aren't that great anyways so competition for entry is less.

Besides that, having a picture and software skills graph is dumb... as is the DaVinci quote and labelling yourself an "architect" in your bio and defining architecture on the cover (I'd reject the app based on this last point alone)...but all this is moot compared to the thought of a Qatar resident living in Winnipeg when it's -40C for 2 straight weeks.  

In Canada, one is not an architect until licensed by a provincial association.  You are a designer here and can only claim "intern architect" if you register and pay annual dues to an association... and note that U of Guelph does not have a architecture program.

As for the content, the last few pages can certainly be removed... and I would cut the length from 40 down to 20.  Add something more creative like life drawings or concept sketches.  Anyone can render shiny models and colour 3D blocks.

Jan 12, 19 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
sathyajeetsahoo

Thanks for the review, ill make suggested changes

Jan 15, 19 7:56 am  · 
 · 
saqibm7575

I agree with every word of Non Sequitur's. I am not sure how much time you have left until the applications for the following school you listed are due, but are my suggests. 

On general note,  your portfolio is too crowded, which makes it very hard to follow, it needs some seriously editorial decisions. Consider how people will read it, page to page, image to image, text to text, ultimately, you need to tell a story. For example, if there is an image that is important to your project and provides some sort of vital information, it should be emphasized in some way without being pulled away from text or other images. That said, you have way too much text... you are an designer/architect(aspiring), not a writer... use visual language to explain your project with  short and concise text. Keep it simple and clean!!! Provide some white space people are not overwhelmed by the information. 

The point of the portfolio is to make your audience learn about your projects, which will tell them about what kind of designer you are. By simply adding every drawing and render you have of the project is not the way to achieve this. Each projects needs to be curated appropriately. 

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Jan 15, 19 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That's very bold of you...

Jan 15, 19 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 
saqibm7575

lol, I know right... for some reason, I could bold my text, could not unbold… so I just kept it consistent.

Jan 15, 19 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I agree.

Jan 15, 19 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: