Archinect
anchor

How many admitted every year to top schools?

bluesquare

Hi, I was curious if the number of students admitted versus the number of students that apply to M.Arch schools like the GSD, YSoA, GSAPP, USC, etc. I know the stats always change but was wondering if anyone new typical numbers based on past reports.

Jan 3, 19 5:46 pm
Anon_grad2.0

Why does it matter?  If you get in, you get in. If not then go somewhere else

Jan 3, 19 5:55 pm  · 
bluesquare

yes I know, it was jus curious

Jan 3, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
bluesquare

I was just curious

Jan 3, 19 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

everyone and their grandma applies to the same top 5 schools, so... why does this matter?

Jan 3, 19 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Top 5 as in top 5 choices.

Jan 4, 19 6:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cool beans. Hard to see how a dyslexic penguin could type that sentence tho.

Jan 4, 19 7:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t even know what USC is.

Jan 4, 19 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

It varies widely from one degree program and university to another, and from one year to the next (examples: graduate programs usually get higher numbers of applicants during economic downturns; and most schools' first-professional M.Arch tracks have slightly lower admitted percentages than their post-pro M.Arch tracks). The schools you listed range from lows of around 8% accepted, to highs of about 20%, to their graduate programs over the last 20 years or so.

Jan 3, 19 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
bluesquare

Yeah I was thinking around those numbers, thanks for the info!

Jan 3, 19 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

If you want to get obsessive about it, go look on https://www.thegradcafe.com/  and search the programs you applied to.  That's likely to give you better answers than most of the people here... myself included.

Jan 4, 19 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I looked at the people who posted there about applying to my alma mater, for the past year, and it doesn't look that accurate. First, not a big enough sample (25 people posted their results from my architecture school there. We usually get about 800 applicants.) Second, the overwhelming majority of the 25 were rejected or wait-listed. If I use that as a sample I get an acceptance rate of 8%, when I know it's really a lot higher.  Maybe the users of that website skew toward the more iffy candidates?  Or maybe it's the disappointed or disgruntled ones who are more likely to come back and post their results?  I don't know but my impression is it won't help you with a very accurate picture.

Jan 4, 19 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Is this information part of that collage ranking system that comes out each year?

Jan 4, 19 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Stats for undergrad programs are part of some of the various published rankings. Stats for graduate programs are harder to come by - they're not generally included information by those rankings.

Jan 4, 19 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

For GSD at least they published the 2017 factbook which includes acceptance and yield rates for the past 10 years or so. GSD and MIT are larger programs with about 50-60 students per year for M. Arch I which allows for a generous 20% acceptance rate. Cornell, Yale, GSAPP have 20-30 which come out at 10-15% usually. I asked the Cornell AAP admissions lady last November at Open House New York and she told me about they usually got 300-400 applicants.

Jan 7, 19 5:22 pm  · 
CL205

Claire Jiang's numbers are very wrong! Regarding the program size for M.Arch I, I am pretty sure it is more like this. 

GSD > YSoA > MIT ≥ Princeton  (I do not know too much about GSSAP and Cornell)

Princeton used to be very small but is admitting more students in recent years..https://soa.princeton.edu/zone... Now it is almost the same size as the M.Arch program at MIT. 

For acceptance rate - Not every school post it online. For MIT, it is a bit higher than 9% last year. You can also check the department's annual report to the president for old numbers at http://web.mit.edu/annualrepor... . (make sure you select the department of architecture). For example, in 2015 "there were 528 applicants: 60 were admitted with 27 targeted for Year 1, resulting in 24 enrolled; and none targeted for Year 2 due to the large class size of the rising Year 2 students". In general, it is becoming more and more competitive. 

For the GSD, you can check their  2017 factbook for the overall percentage at the GSD. They provide numbers for each department during the open house. If I remember correctly, for M.Arch their acceptance rate is a tiny bit higher than MIT's.

If you really want to know the acceptance rate, just go to their open house and talk to people there, or just schedule a phone call with the department as a prospective student.

I hope it helps

Jan 10, 19 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
microphonecheckonetwo

What would you say about City College of New York's difficulty? i cant find anywhere how many applicants they receive and how many they admit. I wouldlove to know or get advice on how to find out

Dec 1, 21 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: