Archinect
anchor

Transporting Materials(the Bloomberg building)

SEDT

For one of my modules the Bloomberg building in London is my case study. One of the briefs wants me to analyse the materials of the front facade and talk about how materials are transported to site. My question is, is there anyway I can find out this specific information or do I just assume?

Just some context for the materials:

Sandstone is made from a quarry in Yorkshire, some of it is transported straight to the Bloomberg site, other parts of it are transported to Tuscany, Italy to be shaped and then transported to the Bloomberg site. Materials are also transported from Wales and Japan also.

Dec 30, 18 2:53 pm
poop876

You can find out all of that. Do your research, call

Dec 30, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

I have done research which is how I found out about the materials but I just have no idea about shipping and transportation(which I have tried to research but hit a dead end). What do you mean by call?

Dec 30, 18 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

and when you say I can find all of this out how? are there any websites/books I could use

Dec 30, 18 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Looks like there is ample controversy about the cost of importing much of the building's finishes.  Have you even done a little research on your own or is asking this site for answers your first and only move? If yes is the answer, then you're probably best to just assume everything and hit the pub early.  Why bother with real research when you can just invent the data?

The project is recent and I cannot imagine someone not being able to find enough information on their own without needing to crowd-source.  Kidsthesedays...

Dec 30, 18 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

Yes, I have tried to do some research but did not find anything relevant the materials I had found. All of the information I presented in my query was found by myself with no help or direction from my tutors. The re The materials and the processes were easy to source, if you re read my query I asked if there was a way I could find SPECIFIC information through any available websites that I may have overlooked. The brief I have is very specific about what it wants in terms of transportation of materials

Dec 30, 18 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so.fucking.lazy. Internet, do my homework!

Dec 30, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

Wow, I would think you have better things to do with your time instead of leaving unconstructive and unhelpful comments on this forum. I guess you don't.

Dec 31, 18 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My

Dec 31, 18 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My first comment was very Helpful. Too bad you’re too dim to see it.

Dec 31, 18 8:31 am  · 
 · 
SEDT

It was not, clearly you didn't read what I had written because I did not mention anything about the cost of importing materials, I wanted some information to help me find out about how they were imported. Alongside being unhelpful it was very sarcastic and presumptuous, assuming that I had done no research beforehand.

Dec 31, 18 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

See my point above about you being too dim. Maybe make another tread asking the internets if you can’t fogure it out.

Dec 31, 18 9:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Have you asked Kate Murphy?

Dec 30, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

I haven't. As when I tend to email architects about any queries I never get a response. I was hoping this information is available somewhere.

Dec 30, 18 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

pick up the god-damn phone and call.

Dec 30, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If not Kate, have you tried Robert McAlpine? And don't email them but be an adult and call.

Another, often overlooked option that works like a charm is to simply fail the class and try again next year or just quit altogether.

There is no shame in failure, I'm sure there are other, e-mail-only, careers out there.

Dec 31, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Great points rando.

Dec 31, 18 8:44 am  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

The japanese company doesn’t allow any recording whatsover in their manufacturing plant, I don’t think you’re likely to get much else from the rest that hasn’t already been published.

Dec 30, 18 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

I found a video with all the information about the materials in Japan, but nothing at all regarding how they would be transported

Dec 30, 18 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
SEDT

Thanks for the help anyway

Dec 30, 18 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Despite the general incompetence of youngins today, it seems like ya'll are being a little hard on the poster. I'm not surprised given the dismal state of architecture education (and education in general) but i'm not sure everyone needs to be such a dick about it.

This actually seems like a pretty difficult assignment if the poster's school is anything like the ones in the US where i've recently sat on reviews. This is likely to be the first or second brush with any "real" elements or technical expertise in this profession this student has had.

OP, I would recommend contacting the manufacturers and vendors that helped make the building. 

Most of this work has already been done for you - check ArchDaily (first) because the usually include GC and major consultants and fabricators in the project info. Barring that, look at client, architect, and builder press releases and info - this is all just internet sleuthing and should be pretty easy.

Then contact the local rep for whatever product or building element they work with... for example, find out who did the curtain wall and what glass they used, try to get in touch with that product representative and ask about their supply chain, fab facilities, glass sourcing, etc...

Do the same for all the other building elements - structural steel and concrete, stone and finishes, millwork, etc... 

Dec 31, 18 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It's probably due to the holiday spirit(s) :) But your premastication is a bit overkill in the other direction (I hope...). (I did list the project architect and main contractor however)

Dec 31, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The "should I just assume" did it for me. Shows the OP did not even follow the wiki article's footnotes or even read the project's blurb on Foster's site.

Dec 31, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Fair points, both.

Dec 31, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Ive been trying to make an effort to correct the youngins at my office rather than just wishing they'd leave me alone, no matter how maddening the incompetence. I can't tell if it's working.

Dec 31, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: