Archinect
anchor

Any recommendations for Architecture Schools in Texas?

saulparra

I’ve been researching different Architecture Schools in Texas and most blogs seem to indicate that Rice and UT Austin are the best. I haven’t found much about the other schools like A&M, UT Arlington, U of H, and UTSA. Out these less discussed school A&M is the one I’m most interested about. Every blog post I have read seem to indicate that it is the less creative of the bunch and that its best field is healthcare, but most of, if not all, post I have come across are like 6+ years old. I was just wondering if it is still that looked down upon or have they improved? Are there any A&M alumni that can share their experiences with the school?

Dec 20, 18 4:59 pm
placebeyondthesplines_

a&m is fucking terrible unless you want to design hospitals

rice and ut austin aren’t just the best in texas, they are the only ones even worth considering. utsa, uta (though the undergrad program is okay), uh, and a&m are all truly awful schools 

Dec 20, 18 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
starling
Well first don’t listen to place, he obviously isn’t an Aggie.

I am an A&M grad of the B.E.D. Program (class of 2009) and I do not design hospitals. I went on to get my Masters at Pratt and am currently Senior Designer of a 200M budget commercial project in San Francisco at one of the largest architecture firms in the world.

Anyways, I loved my experience at A&M. Some of the best people and most dedicated professors I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting in my life. Truly a valuable experience. You should, however, consider the fact that the B.E.D. Program at A&M is not accredited, so if you plan to pursue licensure you will need a professional degree.

During my time there the program was structured differently. My class was combined with architecture and visualization students, so our curriculum was diverse and we all had options for both architecture and art classes. I found this fantastic, but I know that now these two degrees have been segregated and since then many feel that the program has suffered. Still, some of the best professors in the field still teach there and I personally feel I would not be the architect I am today without their influence.

UT Austin is also a fantastic school, these should be your top two picks in Texas. Do a bit more research and talk to more people, find out what fits best for you. Good luck!
Dec 20, 18 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

some of the best professors in the field still teach there

this should tell you all you need to know about starling’s credibility

Dec 21, 18 11:47 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

The hate against the state of Texas and programs in the state of Texas is well documented here. And it’s complete and utter bullshit.

Rice and UT are the best, no question.  

However if you want to work in Texas, A&M, U of H, UTA, Texas Tech, etc all produce competent graduates with strong networks throughout the state. You haven’t stated if you’re interested in a bachelors or masters. I went to school with several A&M undergrad alums who got their masters at U of H and have gone on to do well in practice. I work with a few A&M masters grads as well and they’re all solid and doing just fine in practice.

I received my masters at U of H and it was a fantastic experience. As I’ve said before the program is severely underrated and you won’t graduate with a mountain of debt. Is the entire faculty great...not really but that’s how it is everywhere. It’s based on your experience and what you make of the resources there. I was able to work with the best they had to offer at the time and I wouldn’t change a thing about my choice to study there. 

There’s also something to be said about studying architecture in a city. Austin, Dallas and Houston all have plenty of solid options. Go visit them and see what’s right for you.

Dec 22, 18 9:24 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

as has been said countless times before, while the argument that “graduate school is what you make of it” is absolutely true, it is almost exclusively said by those who attended crappy programs. it’s also willfully ignorant of basic educational realities. 

are there some excellent faculty at these second- and third-tier Texas programs? sure. are there some talented students there that produce strong work and go on to professional success? of course. 

but at a top school, you are surrounded on all sides by exceptionally talented fellow students that push you to do your best possible work, rather than a group of classmates that just went to the only place that accepted them. if you’re attending any Texas school other than UT or Rice, you either didn’t have better options or you stupidly didn’t want to grow up and move away from home. 

Dec 24, 18 11:40 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I know this is a lazy low info thread by a random OP with no chance of actual follow up or meaningful dialogue but I’m so fucking tired of this jabroni saying the same negative shit every time a Texas school is mentioned that isn’t UT or Rice. 

Surrounded by the best talent..are you fucking serious??? Being surrounded by sweater vest twats in ivory towers doesn’t make you a great architect by association. Getting into a “better” school doesn’t guarantee success or get you any closer to licensure than someone who went to Arkansas Tech. 

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended and fuck off with your bitter bullshit comments, overpriced useless piece of paper that you’re still paying off, and stop shitting on schools(and its graduates) that you know nothing about. 

The best part about the people who beat the drum of academia and rankings is watching them languish on the ladder and wonder why the gal or guy from state got the promotion and they didn’t. It’s probably because they’re a self absorbed asshole who was told over and over again how special they are because they got a high SAT score and was captain of their high school glee club when they applied to the fancy schools. 

Merry Christmas 

Dec 26, 18 2:08 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"sweater vest twats in ivory towers"

Dec 26, 18 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

the ivory tower is actually filled with twats wearing full rick owens.

Dec 26, 18 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

thank you for proving my point; OP, this is the level of discourse to be expected from university of houston alumni. 

contrary to your implication, i never said that talented classmates make anyone "a great architect by association." to be admitted to a highly selective school, a student must have demonstrated some form of excellence, whether academic, creative, professional, or otherwise. nor did i suggest anywhere that better schools "get you any closer to licensure" because they obviously do not. exceptional classmates raise the bar for everyone by raising faculty expectations and pushing each other to achieve extraordinary work. 

of course there are weak students in top-ranked programs, just like there are spectacular students in poorly ranked ones. i have seen great work from the best students at U of H, but those students are a tiny minority of the class. however, it is ridiculous to suggest that students with accomplishments sufficient to get into a highly selective program aren't generally going to produce more sophisticated and thoughtful work than those admitted to a school that accepts 59% of all applicants.

i'd say that i'm sorry you couldn't get accepted to a "fancy school" (again OP, consider the credibility of a person who refers to any institution superior to the university of houston in this way), except that i'm not at all sympathetic. i attended both of my "fancy" schools on full academic scholarship, because i worked my ass off to do so.

i have been invited to sit on reviews for each of these schools (except UTSA, and I have colleagues who tell me the work coming from there is so laughably bad that their accreditation should be reconsidered), so the suggestion that I "know nothing" about these schools is patently false.

Dec 26, 18 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

When I was in grad school (FYI, I attended two very selective programs). I met students that made me question how they were admitted. Not everyone who attends a prestigious program has earned it, there are some people who squeeze in through the cracks

Dec 27, 18 4:50 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

it’s almost like I explicitly said “of course there are weak students in top-ranked programs”

Dec 27, 18 10:01 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

my point was that the majority of students at the most competitive schools (and to be fair i did neglect to mention the legacy/rich kid faction of every elite university's student population, which is certainly real but typically quite small) have accomplished something significant -- grades, creative work, professional success -- to have been able to stand out in the applicant pool enough to be accepted.

Dec 27, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

for further context on u of h, check out the work of that program's most vocal archinect ambassador here. those who know u of h's program won't be surprised.

Dec 26, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

It is Patagonia vests in the Ivory Tower now, just to clear up the confusion.

Dec 27, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

the 4th-tier alumni (uc denver, eh?) are really coming out of the woodwork for this thread.

Dec 27, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Um, it's more like 5th-tier now that they hired the former Dean from UT Arlington. Trust the splines go to the better school.

Dec 27, 18 11:37 am  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

Avoid UTSA, its improving, but I did not enjoy my experience enough there to recommend it. The one positive is I managed to tailor my experience to suit my goals and needs but there is little reason to not go to any other school in Texas.

There are some great professors that are invaluable but the administration and policies at the school are awful.

Dec 28, 18 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
RCIXM24

Also. Texas Tech in Lubbock also has an Accredited 5 year B. Arch. I have several friends that went there and they all seemed to enjoy it and landed solid jobs. I hear their focus is a lot more technical and suited towards licensure which I particularly appreciate.

Dec 28, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

They used to have the 5 year BArch. They changed the program awhile back to the standard 4-2. The curriculum is more technical in lieu of the more fantastical that comes out of some programs. There is consideration given to building code, HSW, and structural analysis and systems integration even in studio.

Jan 10, 19 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
oli_allstar

What makes UT Arlington's undergrad program "okay"? 

Do employers/professionals look down on the schools output?

I was actually thinking about attending as an undergrad.

Jan 10, 19 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines__

a decent number of UTA undergraduates go on to excellent graduate schools and have accomplished graduate projects (though they rarely acknowledge having attended UTA once they do). do not attend UTA if you can get into UT Austin or Rice though. even if your work is excellent, the question of "why the hell did you go to UTA instead of a good school" will always follow you. and if you're just thinking of UTA because your family lives in Dallas or some such bullshit, you deserve to go there.

Jan 10, 19 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

If you want to live in Dallas and work around Dallas when you graduate, UTA is a perfectly fine school. If you want to move to a different area of the state or have the option of going somewhere else, I'd consider UT Austin or Rice. Their national reputations are the best in the state.

Jan 10, 19 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: