Archinect
anchor

is it possible to get accepted to ucl with 2.2?

olapuma

hi

is it possible to get accepted to ucl with 2.2? i had tough 3rd year and kind of almost failed, but i have nice work experience and good portfolio. is there a chance that the grade is not tha main criteria while applying?

please tell me from your own experience or your friend's

thank you

Dec 6, 18 10:31 am
natematt
What is UCL, and what are their acceptance rates?
Dec 6, 18 11:34 am  · 
 · 
olapuma

ucl - University College London

official basic standard is 2.2 but i would like to know if somebody actually got accepted with 2.2

Dec 6, 18 11:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Tried calling them yet?

Dec 6, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
TED

You won't get into many schools with a 2.2 - your only chance is if the person you work for is x-bartlett - else, there are lots of other great schools out there -

Dec 9, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

why are your grades so terrible?

Dec 6, 18 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

maybe the grades are good and their system is based on a max GPA of 2.5.

Dec 6, 18 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

jesus that’d be a delightful twist

Dec 6, 18 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

neither my undergrad or graduate university programs used GPAs... the first had old-school letter grades and the other used percentages.

Dec 6, 18 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
olapuma

My grades are terrible cause my dad got cancer and was in a coma

Dec 6, 18 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
TED

@olapuma, perhaps you should have taken a break from your 3rd year and restart. Bartlett won't about your care your issue (sadly) - what Unii is your undergrad from? If you're really keen on going to the Bartlett look at the other non-part 2 programmes, do that first then do part 2.

Dec 9, 18 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
peijunfei

Come one they are British, show your dollars and they will welcome you.

Dec 6, 18 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

PBTS and others.... careful. This might not be GPA but something else. 2.2 which also sometimes spelled 2:2.

Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Dec 6, 18 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
I’ll ask the same critical question again... what is their acceptance rate. Even in general.
Dec 6, 18 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Tried calling them yet?

Dec 7, 18 3:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I believe that in general, their acceptance rate varies between 1 and 17 million.

Dec 8, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Thank God that the UK generally doesn't use/brag about acceptance rates for admissions unless your Oxbridge - at the undergrad level, Unis do look at social/economic backgrounds knowing there is lots of work to do across society. 

A great portfolio gets you a long way but for most universities, the admissions administration team does the first vet so if you require a 2:1 to get in, unlikely your app will get forwarded to the academics who decide who to take forward for review/interview unless you meet the min entry standard. Bartlett and Russel Group Universities, in general, have much more competitive entry. There are generally no scholarships for Part 1/Part 2 students across the UK (a few). 

Dec 9, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@randomized

Why would I call them? I don't actually care. I'm asking the OP to answer because It's a critical component to answer their question. If the school is selective, the answer is no, 2.2 won't get you there. If they accept 95% of the applicants, then yes 2.2 probably will get you in, because all they really care is if you can pay. 

Dec 10, 18 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Rick.

Dec 10, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Tried to edit that and it didn't work. I was just going to say, that my point is... big woop about the "requirements."

Not having a competitive GPA for a school that has a high acceptance rate is not that big of a deal. Yes, other factors matter in getting accepted beyond GPA, but if you have bad credentials, the acceptance rates are a critical factor. 

If the OP has done research on the schools to which they are applying, they should have a sense of the acceptance rates, it's not a hard question, but it's a critical factor. 

Dec 10, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

A lot of schools do not post exact numbers. It's usually not based on desired percentages. It's usually a question of how many people they can accommodate operationally and how many applications they get. If you can't find a number, you can get a good sense looking at people talking about getting in vs getting rejected, overall school acceptance rates (a lot of time universities as a whole will post but not the architecture school) and by looking at the skill level of other people you know have gotten accepted. You have to actually infer the information, it's not just sitting around for you to google. However, a sense of if they are high, med, or low, is about as detailed as you really need. In the OPs case, if the school has a high acceptance rate they have a good chance.

Dec 10, 18 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

If pretty much everyone gets accepted to a school, then the distortion you are concerned about is not that critical, because almost no one is going to complain about not getting in, and those that do probably don't care that much because they probably weren't trying very hard... There are other ways to make assumptions than this particular website. Like someone else said, call them, get a ballpark. If you can make a conclusion that they are even remotely selective, or not, then that is good enough for this instance. OP should already have a sense of this if they are planning to apply there.

Dec 10, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Sheesh.  55 posts of people arguing about their speculations on academic policies that they're looking up on wikipedia. 

Did anybody bother to read the original poster's posts before starting all that? 

He already knows the official policy of the academic institution.  He's simply looking for any first-hand or second-hand anecdotes of people on the low end of the institution's stated acceptable range actually being accepted there.

Dec 10, 18 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

I've answered his 4 times. I have done UK admissions and have attended the Bartlett. So will repeat. You will not get in the Bartlett with a 2:2. Try another Uni.

Dec 10, 18 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
chm@

@TED to my surprise, I heard that Cardiff takes in students with a 2:2 as long as they have above 55% studio grades. Do you know why that is and if Cardiff is still regarded as a good school?

Dec 10, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

We're still talking about this? 

No it wasn't 'like 30 years ago,' thank-you it was within 5. I have done admissions at 3 Unis (not Bartlett) and taught the students that I admitted -

@chm on Cardiff website specifically says that will consider 2.2 as long as you have a 2.1 in design studios - in UK, a 2.1 is 60-69%, not 55%. 

For all of you who feel you need to comment and have no experience in the UK - most students around the country head to London for their year out prior to applying to Part 2, love London then wish to attend a London school for Part 2. A Postgraduate programme does want diversity of student backgrounds within a cohort. 

That does 2 things: give Bartlett a pool of the top candidates from around the country to choose from so very selective and 2nd, opens up the door for students who for whatever reason didn't achieve top grades in Part 1 an opportunity to attend a great school outside London. Explore the schools and programmes, visit the schools and cities. Look at the work on the websites, look at the teaching staff -

If your still set on Bartlett or any top school, do something above + beyond your undergrad performance such as design comps or work abroad for a year - marks alone does not make a student but in a competitive environment you want all students to flourish so demonstrate your passion by your actions not by splitting hairs on your degree award.

Dec 11, 18 7:40 am  · 
 · 
chm@

@ TED my mistake, thanks for clarifying. Do you know how much the work that one does in their year out matter as much as for MArch admissions as former school portfolio and degree classification? I have a 1:1 for my Part I but the work I have been doing during so far in year out is very dry. Not applying to UCL, but Cardiff and Bath.

Dec 11, 18 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Congrats @chm If you have a 1st you should not have a problem in either Uni. Lots of year out students complain about their experience. Work of good practices can sometimes is dry. Take advantage of your year away from Uni by pushing your design passion outside the dry stuff through sketching, photography, travel or writing - so when you enter part 2 you can push those experience into your work. Do both Bath and Cardiff have the 1st year of the MArch in practice? When interviewing students, I was always keen to hear from the student why they choose the Uni/programme and what they wished to achieve. Bath is more technical and Cardiff strength is in environmental. Both great choices.

Your individuality should come through your portfolio - who you are. Think of your past experience as a narrative - ask yourself how with this next part of your journey through the part 2 will help get you where you want to be.

Dec 11, 18 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Yes @Rick the chart is specific to the Bartlett(UCL) - from the Unistats website entry standards, feedback, degree awards are shown. Most Unis awards 50-65%% 'Good Awards" (1st / 2:1.) Bartlett's 82% is high - https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/study/10007784FT-UBSARCSING05/ReturnTo/Search Unistats is mostly BA/BS but there are a few MArch where the programme is linked directly to the Undergrad as a 5 year programme.

A 2:1 is an Upper 2nd Class degree. 

Dec 11, 18 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
olapuma

Thank you guys, i didnt expect so much constructive words, once i finish my portfolio i might publish it for some constructive comments.

I also wanted to know if there is anybody who achieved unachievable and got in with 2:2

It is actually like 2:2 not 2.2 SORRY!

Dec 17, 18 5:42 am  · 
 · 
olapuma

Just to add; I have taken two years out and worked at Renzo Piano and Dominique Perrault to improve my skills, add some great projects to my portfolio and learn other culture etc

Dec 17, 18 6:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: