Archinect
anchor

Revit details in drafting views or live views

Question, is it a big deal to draw detail items in live views in Revit?

Our office (spoken never written) standard is to draw all details in drafting views, even when modeled geometry such as roof slopes or linked structural models are sometimes critical.  

It seems to me that the best way to leverage BIM is to have standard drafting view details such as door jambs and other things that should be the same in 90% of the conditions the details might occur drawn in basic 2D drafting views and use model geometry as a guide in live views to draw details where specific conditions exist. Drawing everything including enlarged sections in 2D views is more of a CAD way of thinking and drawing and causes problems when things move or shift in the 3D model or in linked consultant models.

Do you draw in Revit like it is a CAD program or a BIM program? This seems like a Lilliput and Blefuscu level of inter office conflict at times when it probably should not be such a big deal.

What is your preferred way of doing details in Revit?

Thanks for your thoughts

Peter N

Nov 27, 18 4:47 pm
Non Sequitur

I do both.  Our first BIM project did details in drafting views only, but as we developed efficiency in the software, almost all details are from a live view.  If pressed for time, I'll often overlay a detail group of something (like a reveal or post connection) with white-out fields on top of a live view.  This only works if what ever I drew does not need to be shown in other views.

The only exception is for stand alone details, often  a 1:5 roof drain or expansion detail. We also build our wall assembly legend in a drafting view.  Easier to make clear and pretty diagrams this way.  Just need discipline if ever some wanker decides to get creative with the wall type names mid-project.

p.s. I'm in a 2y long journey of building our office's BIM manual. 

Nov 27, 18 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I also do both, depending on the detail.  

Typical construction details are already included in our office template.  Project specific details are always done live to model.

Nov 27, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Is "drafting view-live view" same as "model space-paper space"  from back when CAD lines had no genderfluid meaning beyond being a line. 

I once tried to open a Revit file by double clicking on it. You are apparently not supposed to do that. 

Nov 27, 18 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

BIM in my experience should be about the process.  Start with a live detail and cover pieces / connections with detail families as you develop the project. Standard details are not drafting views like the old cad days but detail families. Note ect. should be embeded in the detail families. One old cad detail may need to be broken into multiple Revit detail families for correct operation. Very few details, except boiler plate stand alone details should be simple drafting views. Wall assemblies as drafting views is dangerous for coordination.  The more divisions you create between the model and the information displayed the more opportunities for errors. This conversation is really really hard to move upstream to the old guard who has their cad detail library they just want to copy and paste, It seems like the simple answer but becomes a big problem when down the road there are differences between the model and drafted details. Clash detection, consultant coordination, rendering, take offs, are all junk and nearly impossible if you are using primarily drafted details. The bulk of the information should be modeled. additional information is added through drafting. 

Nov 27, 18 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the insights, think my coworkers for the project I am on part time are just stuck in the old CAD ways of thinking.  I always like to take a moment and ask how can I use the BIM Like master Yoda asking Luke to use the force, before starting in on a task. It is frustrating when you know how to make Revit do it but your team wants to do it the analog CAD way.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 27, 18 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

As live as possible. Otherwise you're just using a smarter SketchUp with cad. 

Nov 27, 18 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: