Archinect
anchor

M.Arch from Temple University or NJIT?

ukkn

Hi, 

I was hoping someone would help me with my decision of going to either NJIT or Temple University M.Arch programs. I did my 5 year B.Arch from India and applied to these universities and fortunately got an admit from both. But right now I am confused as both universities seem very ideal especially for an international student. Help?

P.S: I love Architecture and I am driven by my passion for it. My interests lies within practical, viable and livable architecture aimed to create powerful experiences and I feel a true devotion towards research based design. I am generally a flexible person, quick to adapt and quick to pick up new skills and an eager/curious learner.

I would really appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Nov 26, 18 6:03 pm
placebeyondthesplines__

lmao

Nov 30, 18 10:18 am  · 
designer_jawn

I do not know how you landed on those as options for M.Arch programs during your M.Arch search. I would choose NJIT, only because its connection and possible networking opportunities with NYC being closer. I went there for undergrad but know people that went into the masters program. Temple's masters program is still very young,  I personally just think the resources are not there yet for it to be great. The faculty is very welcoming and passionate though. Also, I have not seen many firms hiring from Temple because the portfolios are underdeveloped. I believe that's a reflection of the student, environment, and program. 

Your statement about your love for architecture and passion for it is pretty generic.

Nov 30, 18 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
ukkn

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! Well for starters I was looking for universities with spring intake for the course and that's how I ended up with an admit to these two. Had applied to UWM and UTA as well but the application was deferred to Fall.

Dec 2, 18 2:00 am  · 
 · 
ukkn

Also, I am sorry if my interest in the field didn't seem to reflect in my statement to you. I admit I didn't try hard enough to prove it otherwise either.

Dec 2, 18 2:10 am  · 
 · 
ukkn

Btw, according to whatever little research I have done, seems like Temple offers greater scholarship and assistantship opportunities than NJIT? Could you please elaborate on it if you have any knowledge of it? Thanks!

Dec 2, 18 2:12 am  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

They do offer a lot of scholarships and assistantship opportunities. When I went there, I also found the financial aid office to be great with helping me figure out options.

Dec 3, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I'm a Temple grad. Got a B.Arch when it was still being offered. Not sure what everyone's talking about. NJIT and NYIT have greater networking opportunities in NYC- but overall are not goot programs. Temple's architecture school is technically part of the Tyler School of Art and its faculty is pretty good. You have excellent employment prospects in the Philadelphia region.

Dec 2, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
ukkn

Hey thanks for the feedback.

Dec 3, 18 9:37 am  · 
 · 
ukkn

Any particular reason why the program at NJIT is not considered good ?

Dec 3, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
nonneutral

NJIT has a little bit of recognition in the profession, but AFAIK Temple is a no-name school.

Dec 2, 18 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
molten

I also went to Temple when they still offered the B. Arch. When they transitioned to the Master's program, there was a mass exodus of great professors who didn't like the direction of the new program. A few stayed behind but there were growing pains, and I'm not sure if they've worked them out.

That being said, Temple's program is fine. Like anything else in life, what you get out of it is wholly dependent on what you put into it. There are students who have graduated and gone on to work for starchitects, been accepted into ivy league grad programs, etc...and there are others who work for Ikea in the kitchen planning department. 

Dec 3, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

I agree with the above statements. I was also there when the program transitioned from B.Arch to the masters program. They did lose some great faculty due to the new program direction. 

I disagree with the comment about excellent employment options in Philly. There are only a handle of firms that provide a service and great design.There a lot of options for corporate service firms, but not a lot of design firms. 

Dec 3, 18 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
h0wl

I went there for 4 year BS degree around that same time that the 5 year was phased out. I saw those mentioned 'great faculty' leave first hand, and the semesters following that were a bit rough. However in the last year they added a handful of good professors from whom I learned a good bit.

Dec 4, 18 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: