Archinect
anchor

have my own unrelated biz, still worth m.arch to enrich life?

folkstory

Greetings, 

Here’s one for ya: It is worth going to M.Arch I if I don’t plan on becoming an architect? I’m 27 and have my own nifty business which, if it continues on its current trajectory, will make me financially independent in about two years. I’ve also proved to myself I can make good money working for a company in a profit environment, but I’m looking for an intense training in a discipline. It seems 3 years of intense design education might enrich one’s life. Type 2 fun, right?

I didn’t particularly like working for a boss in silicon valley who made 160X what I earned, so I don’t want to be an underling at a company forever, but I love designing and drawing, getting into the guts and the details, and I could see some cool connections coming from the m.arch network. I guess I’m just thinking of some kind of fun design-influenced business thing springing out of that training. 

Other background: from the backwoods hinterland, worked hard to get into the best college in my state, majored in something that doesn’t pertain to architecture. Worked in another realm for a while, have tried to start a few businesses along the way. Though the others kept me afloat, is the first one thats really taking off. I did Berkeley’s summer post-bacc arch program a few years ago and did pretty good (considering about twenty percent of the class didn’t even finish the 6 week program). I’ve been chipping away at the portfolio in my spare time for a few years now, and I’m pretty sure I would be able to get into a top school. 

So, is it worth 3 years and putting my earning on hold just for the design training and the experience if I’m not planning on it long term? I was thinking that being a free agent, unattached to having to make a living the field, might allow me to inject some healthy skepticism into the education, really focus on pursuing meaningful projects and not getting sucked into the esoteric design swamp and having to please professors' individual tastes. 

I really just want to make it through a hard thing and feel like I underwent some real training, you know? Like if there were a more morally sound version of the special forces, I’d do that. 

I hung out with my favorite regional architect a few times, and he didn’t even go to architecture school, just got grandfathered in before the requirement was established (and he’s pretty soundly regarded as one of the best in this state), so its like, man, what do you do? 

Nov 5, 18 12:47 pm
Non Sequitur

"I’ve been chipping away at the portfolio in my spare time for a few years now, and I’m pretty sure I would be able to get into a top school. " - So does everyone else.

Stick with what you have. You have a false romantic view of architecture that will most certainly end in disappointment.

Nov 5, 18 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

if you are financially secure and have time to kill, go for it.

Just be aware that school is not really that much fun if your heart isn't really in it.  On the other hand, chicks dig architects

Nov 5, 18 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I know, for some wierd reason people that were in your situation. Aching to be architects, because they like architecture. I have to say that ALL of them are in a much worse position than they started out with, and are way more in debt than many others, even though they started out with money. As some say here, you have a fake romanticism of the profession. Just make money, hire an architect to make you a fancy house, and you can play architect along with them.

Nov 5, 18 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sure. Go for it. 

Nov 5, 18 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I was thinking that being a free agent, unattached to having to make a living the field, might allow me to inject some healthy skepticism into the education, really focus on pursuing meaningful projects and not getting sucked into the esoteric design swamp and having to please professors' individual tastes. 

This alone tells me you have this romantic idea of what architecture school is like.  If you don't play the game, you fail.  Try to go to any architecture school and design a building that is any style but this gobbley-gook misshapen form garbage people try to pass off as architecture.  I dare you.  

Also not sure what you mean by "meaningful projects" as its all pretend - no one outside of your class typically sees anything you produce.

Nov 5, 18 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
folkstory

Hahaha thanks. I believe you. And yeah I felt kind of dumb writing that about meaningful projects.

Nov 5, 18 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
donutsfordough

Go for it.

Nov 5, 18 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

I'd say it depends on how much you comprehend what a design education is, and whether you think you'll put it to use somehow when you're done.  I went into it thinking it was literally about the design and construction of buildings, and came out with a new way of thinking and communicating.  The intellectual side of design is something I hadn't been knowledgeable about going in, but now I find it to be the most enjoyable aspect of what I learned.

You sound like you enjoy the activities of a designer so far, but I suspect you haven't hit upon the languages and processes of design yet.  The experience in the summer program seems to bode well though.  During my first year, there was a fairly high attrition rate, as some people just don't "get" that side of things.  But once you do, it's a very enjoyable world.  More than half of my graduating class don't practice architecture in the conventional sense, but most have taken their design education and gone off to do any number of related activities.

I'd say it doesn't hurt to jump in for a year and see how it goes.  Your being on track to financial independence gives you an opportunity to try it out in a way that most people can't.  Just don't think as a free agent you are more special than anyone else in your class.  There's a lot to learn, and many ways to approach design and architecture. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the student who has great ideas and is looking to learn ways to articulate them through design.  They'll fight their way through and make it, so be prepared to compete with that.

Nov 5, 18 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
folkstory

Many thanks. Super helpful.

Nov 5, 18 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no.

Nov 5, 18 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
folkstory

A no-nonsense tally for the no's. I dig it.

Nov 5, 18 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You just want to go for fun, not to actually be architect? That's the way to do it.

Nov 5, 18 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
folkstory

Haha I can't quite detect if this is sarcastic or not, but I hope that people's opinions on this really are as polarizing as they seem!

Nov 5, 18 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

It’s not sarcasm... and I agree... architecture is more of a hobby for the rich. If you ma
ke a career out of it... you are fucked...

Nov 5, 18 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Also out of curiosity what does your biz actually do?

Nov 5, 18 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
folkstory

Dang yeah thats a really good way of putting it. Thanks to you both. And Justin I designed and licensed a series of really boring cartoon characters for this doofy international commercial art thing and it did surprisingly well in a particular market. Not exactly the sexiest thing, but whatever.

Nov 5, 18 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
folkstory

There seems to be a general consensus that school doesn't prepare one for work at a firm. That seems to mean that school is a time of intellectual indulgence and investment in one's own brain. That doesn't seem so wrong to me. People spend money on all sorts of useless stuff. I would definitely use the education, just not in a straightforward traditional sense. The future looks like its gonna be complex and weird, and the degree seems like it might provide some useful tools to do something interesting for the world. Surely there are other people who end up doing something else with it. But yeah, maybe I should just learn some new coding languages or something. I appreciate your commitment to informing a stranger on the internet.

Nov 6, 18 11:22 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I appreciate your commitment to informing a stranger on the internet.

Nov 6, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

^^ that is the nicest I've ever heard someone express that sentiment. HA

Also wanted to amend my response to say, if you're passionate about this, don't take it too seriously, and think you'd gain valuable problem-solving skills, then do it.  If nothing else, put together applications for places you'd really want to go, and just see what sticks.  

Nov 6, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
folkstory

Thanks, yeah I think that's how I'll do it. And yeah we're all just doing our best out here on the internet you know? This is actually the first time I've ever posted something on an internet forum, haha.

Nov 6, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
folkstory

Thousand thanks for the potent blend of tough love and real talk. I appreciate y'all taking time to humor me. 

Nov 5, 18 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
It’s true. Chicks DO dig architects. And bonus most don’t know about that whole ‘can’t call yourself an architect without 6-7 tests and a license’ bit. You can just go to school and that’s probably enough to get laid later. Or hell pull a Costanza/Vandalay and just SAY you’re an architect. Don’t even need 3 years of school / debt for that one. Just be careful if they ask you design their dad/brother/ex boyfriend’s new house...
Nov 6, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

If the cost of a M.Arch program, knowing full well you have no intention on ever becoming a licensed architect, doesn't curb your desire to enroll, then go for it.

If you can afford it and have a strong interest in pursuing it, then why not?

Nov 6, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

Honestly, if money isn't a factor and you're interested in it, definitely go for it. You'll learn a variety of different skill sets that I'm sure you'll use throughout your lifetime, get exposed to the world of design, and it's fun too.

edit: don't put your business on hold now while it has momentum and is growing into something stable!

Nov 6, 18 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: