Archinect
anchor

Stolen Laptop, Should I mention it in masters portfolio?

mohamadjavadfarshchi

Dear all,

Hi, I hope this finds you hale and hearty. Unfortunately, my laptop was stolen last year and my works during bachelors are gone. I am now making a portfolio to apply for several universities to study masters but I only have few works to present that are done recently. I am skeptical on whether I should mention the fact that my laptop was stolen and if it makes any difference. Please help on this; moreover, other information that might help me on getting admission with this condition will be deeply appreciated. 

Kindest regards  

Nov 4, 18 10:37 am
Non Sequitur

no, don’t mention it. It’ll show that you don’t understand the value of backups. 

Nov 4, 18 11:16 am  · 
 · 
citizen

This is true. It displays both excuse-making and lack of preparation, neither of which look good for you. Do what you're doing now: build a new portfolio. I presume you back things up now? In at least two separate locations? Good.

Nov 4, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

did you ever have to submit work digitally to your prof? I once taught an undergraduate course where at the end of the semester the students submitted their work digitally. If so ask your profs. Or perhaps some of your friends took photos of you during your reviews with your work?

Nov 4, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
donutsfordough

Go ahead and include blank pages in your portfolio with the disclaimer "project missing" on each.

Worse case scenario, just say someone stole your identity and applied on your behalf.

Nov 4, 18 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Never had to pin up your work? I still have university drawings in tubes rolled up somewhere and even some pieces on display in my house (the toilet obviously). We also had to upload our graduation project to an online repository and send stuff over to profs occasionally for review. 

I actually had my laptop crash during final year and my university literally burnt down, you'll be just fine.

Nov 4, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: