Archinect
anchor

Help identifying the style of a building

jfabbuilding12

Hello. I am currently filling out a Historic Resource Survey Form for an old hotel in Delaware Water Gap, PA, in order to make it a historical landmark. One of the requirements is to list the architectural style of the building. I do not know much about architecture so I was wondering if anyone here could help me identify the style of this building (if it was built in any particular style at all). I have a couple pictures included. What I can tell you about the construction is that it was built from 1906 to 1907 using timber and concrete. Two years later the music hall was constructed and a year after that the dining hall was constructed. Most of the pictures are of the main building. Two of them are of the dining hall and one contains the music hall, which burned down in 1985 however.

I also have some information on the architect if it helps at all. Robert Bruekner was the architect of the building, he studied at the Royal School of Technology in Dresden, Germany. As far as I can find though he designed it when he was very young and I do not think he designed any other buildings of great significance. 

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks

I have an imgur album of the pictures - https://imgur.com/a/8ri6ERE

Nov 1, 18 4:00 pm
citizen

The roof-form looks Dutch Colonial.

You should hire a qualified preservation consultant to help you with this, unless you don't really care if your application is approved.  There's an expertise to this: not only architectural and historical but also procedural, relative to this process.  

Nov 1, 18 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
jfabbuilding12

Thank you, the help is very much appreciated. And I will definitely look into finding a preservation consultant.

Nov 1, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Yes, you need a preservation consultant. Depending on who is reviewing your application, local jurisdiction vs. SHPO, they typically have different requirements. As someone who has written a couple of these, there's a method to these applications that can be tricky if you're unfamiliar.

Nov 2, 18 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
auninja91

Georgian/Dutch/Colonial Revival ??

Nov 1, 18 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I think the dining hall is a form of Renaissance Revival architecture that was popular from about 1840 to 1915. This example seems patterned on the German/Austrian regional version of Renaissance Revival. Since Pennsylvania was settled by the Germans to a degree and the architect was German it might be a good guess.

Nov 2, 18 10:37 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

This has to be the single most legitimate "what style is the building" post I have ever seen on Archinect.  Bravo. 

I have no idea, but I'm curious now. 

Nov 2, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly, Jonathan! I came Here (somewhat gleefully, I admit) expecting the typical snark fest and it's so nice to see people being legitimately helpful!

Nov 2, 18 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Well now you jinxed it... ;O)

Nov 2, 18 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: