Archinect
anchor

can;'t buy taste

shellarchitect
JLC-1

on the contrary, money makes you think you know something, but it's just your ego. Even when the rich hire architects and int designers, they force their bad taste into the design

Oct 31, 18 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It's an $800k home. Apparently she died with net worth of 80 million and no will. 

She should have blown it all away on a custom starchitect home just to impress some internet dweeb. 

Oct 31, 18 10:03 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I agree

Oct 31, 18 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

People who are rich are rich for a reason... i.e. not wasting a nickel on a fricking starchitect to do a design to satisfy their own ego.

Oct 31, 18 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

People who are rich are rich for a reason... i.e. not wasting a nickel on a fricking starchitect to do a design to satisfy their own ego.

Oct 31, 18 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Architects and decorators (among others) are hired to provide people

with the perceived accoutrements of the social class that they aspire to in an attempt to gain membership to that class.

As these perceptions of class are invariably wrong, such actions simply reinforce the lack of class. One way to think about this is that instead of climbing up a ladder, people are dragging the whole culture down.

In our "classless society" the level of class is measured solely by money. Real class is defined by behavior, thus money is only relevant to the extent that it influences behavior.

Oct 31, 18 10:56 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I don't get it, is the fact that her home is only worth 800k yet her fortune a whooping 80million a sign of good or bad taste? She for sure didn't spend her fortune on her house. Anyway a weird topic without any pictures to know what we are actually talking about here.

Oct 31, 18 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

There are more pictures buried in the links. It's just a super generic McMansion. Tells us nothing about her tastes. Only that she owned a large house outside of Detroit and that she bough it for $400k more than it is worth now. Actually that part really stands out. She shelled out $1.2 million for it in 1997. 21 years later and it is worth 66% of its value. Someone should call Detroit and make sure they are OK. It sounds like Detroit is still having a rough time.

Oct 31, 18 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

as I recall she never lived at this house, not sure what she used it for.

Oct 31, 18 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

that's in the "good" part of metro Detroit too! I live 3 miles away and there are many houses far nicer than that one in every way

Oct 31, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

“Bad taste is real taste, of course, and good taste is the residue of someone else's privilege.” - Dave HIckey

Oct 31, 18 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

She could have lived in a gold plated revolving mobile home and it wouldn't matter because she was Aretha Fucking Franklin and contributed more to our culture than an entire sack of black  turtlenecked archisnobs ever could.

Oct 31, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Exactly. The material trappings of American culture that come with success do not diminish in any way Aretha's magnificence.

Oct 31, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Thanks vado, for articulating my thoughts so precisely using your words. Some times dipshit millennials need to get their butts spanked.

Nov 1, 18 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I guess I'm to young to appreciate her impact on our culture.  She could certainly sing, but I remember her mostly as a ridiculous diva 

I knew nothing of her civil rights work until her death

Oct 31, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

She had a huge impact in Detroit! Go to the Motown museum, it’s amazing

Oct 31, 18 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Shiiiiitt Muther Fucker. She was the Queen of Fucking Soul, you bet your millennial ass she was a diva. A DIVA to end all divas; she'll cut you from the grave.

AND...it's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Oct 31, 18 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Don't blame your ignorance on your age, you idiot. You have your head stuck too far up your millennial ass.

Nov 1, 18 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

wtf dude?

Nov 1, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yeah wtf, just saying that you don't realise the impact she had on American culture doesn't make someone a muther fucker or idiot etc. Talking about R-E-S-P-E-C-T, you guys sure don't know a bloody thing about it, Aretha would bitch slap the both of you so hard...

Nov 1, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You better think!

Nov 1, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes think about it before you call someone a mother fucker, maybe first listen to her lyrics before you start calling people names. You clearly didn’t get the message:

Without eachother there ain't nothing people can do, oh 

Think about it, baby (What are you trying to do me) 

Yeah, oh baby, think about it now, yeah 

(Think about, forgiveness, dream about forgiveness) 

To the ball, forgiveness 

Think about it baby To the ball, forgiveness 

To the ball, forgiveness

Nov 2, 18 3:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It is true! Dutchman are some of the most humorless people on the planet.

Nov 2, 18 5:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Apparently social justice warriors don't like to be shown their own inconsistencies. Respect is a two-way street, but in the spirit of Aretha, I forgive you and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Nov 2, 18 6:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, okay colonizer. You don't know dick if it slapped you in the face, especially when it comes to The Queen. I said, what I said. The Queen, will cut you. Don't you blaspheme. https://hiphollywood.com/2018/08/6-famous-aretha-franklin-feuds/

Nov 2, 18 6:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

At Whitney Houston’s funeral Dionne referred to Aretha as the late singers god mother. Apparently that did not sit well with Aretha and it stuck with her. Five years later during a phone interview, the Queen of Soul let it be known, that she had not forgotten about Dionne’s comments. “She blatantly lied on me … fully well knowing what she was doing,” Franklin said during the interview. She even went as far as faxing the Associated Press to tell them that the statement, made at the funeral five years earlier was “libelous”. When asked if she wanted an apology from Dionne she dropped this gem, “I don’t care about her apology. At this point it isn’t about an apology, it’s about libel.” adding, “We’ve never been friends and I don’t think that Dionne has ever liked me.”

Nov 2, 18 6:17 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Beyonce and Jay Z paid tribute to Aretha last week when the OTR Two tour hit Detroit. The couple dedicated the concert to Franklin and sent love to the ailing singer. Beyonce has loved and respected Franklin but apparently Aretha was not happy with one particular moment from the past. During the 2008 Grammys Beyonce introduced Tina Turner as the Queen, and that did not sit well with Aretha. The Queen of Soul was so angered by the moment while watching the broadcast at home, she felt the need to issue a public statement. “I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writer and Beyoncé,” she later told reporters. “However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy.”

Nov 2, 18 6:17 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
b3tadine[sutures]

Your comments are quickly approaching The Balkinesque.

Nov 2, 18 6:20 am  · 
 · 
randomised

As I said SJW's like yourself don't like to be called out for behaving exactly as their so-called targets of their keyboard feuds. Calling people mother fuckers because they don't know the entire background of Aretha Franklin, how pathetic is that? Does that make you feel superior? You can't find the proper arguments so need to shout random profanities like some Gilles de la Tourette, be careful that the foam from your mouth doesn't short circuit your computer. So far, your 5! foaming replies in a row are clear indicators of The Balkinesque, maybe take a breather, step away from the keyboard, breath in a paper bag for an hour or so.

Nov 2, 18 7:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Humor less than ever. It's a wonder how you still survive.

Nov 2, 18 7:05 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Foaming? I posted quotes from the articles, because I know delicate snowflakes like yourself wouldn't be able to read. You don't know anything about The Queen, and you think song lyrics are reality. Now, run along little dutchess and fetch me my stoopwafel.

Nov 2, 18 7:17 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes foaming, I dont't even need to know everything about The Queen to know you're calling people mother fuckers and what have you, for them not being a walking Aretha Franklin encyclopedia. That's what I pointed out, using Aretha's own lyrics against your very comments here, ha! But your head's too far up your own ass to even see that, maybe put that on your stroopwafel! Don't know why you need to bring in the Dutch colonial past or those bloody stroopwafels, I thought we were discussing Aretha Franklin here and your( totally uncalled for) use of profanities. Guess you're once again out of ammo on the topic, maybe you could use some brown sugar to bring up those sagging energy levels of yours:

Nov 2, 18 7:31 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Have your sad, little dutchess.

Nov 2, 18 7:34 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I forgive you, to the ball!

Nov 2, 18 7:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No worries Rick, everything zen.

Nov 2, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

There isn't much wrong with this house.  It's just a mainstream new construction luxury home of the late '80's/early '90s with no updates done to the interior decor.  I wouldn't be surprised if the brick exterior and pitched roof were dictated by the neighborhood's design restrictions.

Nov 1, 18 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

good point

Nov 1, 18 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Rusty's comments about the real issue being that this house in one of the nicest suburbs of Detroit lost value between 1997 and today is spot on.

it's a gated community - I wonder how much the condo fees are - plus the property tax rates around there are ridiculously high.  Just seems like an odd place to park money or live if you aren't there for the schools. I guess the display of wealth is simply the fact that you can afford to live in a gated community in Bloomfield...

Nov 1, 18 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
88Buildings

Many people just don't care about the so call good tastes of architects or designers. They have their own life styles and preference and they don't have to comply with others' opinions.

I am an architect and I really don't want another architect or designer telling me what is good  and bad tastes.  

Nov 2, 18 2:13 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's why people hire a Gehry and complain he didn't design them an Ando? Sorry, I don't get it.

Nov 2, 18 3:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

here randomless. Something to keep the little dutchess comfy.

Nov 2, 18 7:53 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Is that a live stream from your webcam?

Nov 2, 18 8:45 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sad little dutchess.

Nov 2, 18 9:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Glad to see you went out for some fresh air, might do you good.

Nov 2, 18 9:54 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I think it is worthwhile to expand on my original post.... 

I posted this house because it is such a very generic mcmansion.  It's certainly better than most in the area.  My thought being that someone extremely wealthy could and would have better.  For all I know this was a house for a grandchild, after all she was an old lady. Maybe she liked that the house was generic and somewhat anonymous?

Regarding her greatness, she could certainly sing, and was apparently a force for good in the 60's.   I personally know her more for the generally petty and vile quotes/stories that showed up in the newspaper over the years.  Maybe she was ok for 20 years, great for 30 years, and somewhat awful for 30?  Maybe she was as human as the rest of us, with good moments and bad.

Obviously the internet brings out the worst in everyone.....

Nov 2, 18 10:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"Obviously the internet brings out the worst in everyone....."

Not in everyone but then again, some are still in b3ta mode.

Nov 2, 18 10:39 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

800k house in Bloomfield is at least 20k property taxes - and she was in a gated community. I think she was paying for the protection and anonymity that comes with being in that neighborhood.

Nov 2, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: