Archinect
anchor

GRE Importance (GSD, PennDesign, Michigan, WashU)

AS33

I have a strong GPA (3.90) but my GRE scores are struggling with 147V and 155Q. I have been applying myself academically to create a portfolio and resume that I hope is competitive for GSD, Penn, Michigan, and WashU. How likely is it that my GRE score will hurt my application and my chances of admittance?  

Oct 30, 18 3:29 pm
Anon_grad2.0

not to give you any false hope, but I’ve been told (by faculty) that this is one of the last things that get looked at. That’s not to say it’s not important, but where you went to school, your portfolio, letters of recommendation, GPA etc. all carry a bit more “weight”. 

If your complete application package gives the impression you will be a good fit for the program, you stand a chance at getting in

Oct 30, 18 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
Some programs care, many don’t really. If your scores are really bad that might hurt, but they are about average, right? If they don’t have explicit minimums listed I’d just focus on your other materials.
Oct 31, 18 11:57 am  · 
 · 
proximity

Honestly I feel like 147 verbal is pretty low...it's a 34 percentile.  GSD website shows 157v for the average incoming student. I think Penn might be even higher.

If you're thinking about retaking if there is time... yeah, I'd retake and try to get your verbal up. If there isn't time to retake than do your best on other application materials.

Nov 5, 18 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
donutsfordough

At a certain point, some school will need money mules and not care about anything as long as you can pay full price day one. You'll be admitted but expect no grants or scholarships or funding of any sort. Hopefully you somehow pick up on that going in.

Nov 5, 18 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
mwnnown

i would retake the gre and get the verbal score to 155+ if i were you. 

gre score doesn't matter when you are above a certain number - like 155 to them is the same as 165. the same applies to gpa - as long as you are above a certain number, you are fine (but a 3.9 gpa would not make up to a low gre score). if you are international. get a really high toefl score if your gre is low. 

Nov 9, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
AS33

I am not an international student but have always struggled on standardized test. At what level do you believe my score would be safe? Also, what would most admissions committees think about my current scores, would they be a deal breaker? 

Nov 11, 18 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
scones1226

I bombed the math section of the GRE and I got in everywhere I applied   for MLA (GSD, Penn, Berkeley, RISD, Maryland, UVA, IIT). I got nice aid offers everywhere except RISD, Maryland, and IIT. Focus on your portfolio and your experience leading up to your application that will make you desirable if you don't have a traditional background. Talk to the faculty if you can! 

Nov 13, 18 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I think Yale takes it a bit more seriously than others as it expects students to have a pretty strong grasp of English.

Nov 13, 18 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: