Archinect
anchor

Best Undergraduate University in Canada?

joelwan

Finishing my IB Diploma Year 2 in high school this year, possibly getting a 40 or more. But didn't have IB physics in my course selection, however I did physics 11 and 12 before grade 10 and got around 70%. Currently redoing physics 12 online course so it should be a problem. 

My choice of undergraduate is U of T, McGill, Waterloo and HKU (im originally from hk). Any suggestion or comment on which one is most favoured ? Another question is I heard Waterloo have a very nice arch program but is the program respected globally by architectural firm? Since I might move after university. Thank you very much!

Oct 26, 18 3:30 pm
Non Sequitur

Waterloo.  No contest.

UofT is not an undergrad arch school.  Avoid it like the plague.  

McGill is second best and equally as difficult to get in as Waterloo.

School recognition matters fuck-all once you actually start working.  So don't pick big international names (like UofT) thinking it'll score you a sweet gig.  The content of your portfolio will get you that gig.

Oct 26, 18 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Also important, do you want to eventually live and work in architecture in Canada?  If so, you need to verify that a foreign (HK) degree will be acceptable when it comes time to take your M.Arch.  Could easily save you 1 or 2 years of school and tuition.

Oct 26, 18 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
joelwan

Why is U of T program trash? And have any comment about HKU program? Because i see them both pretty high on the ranking of university by architecture program. (11 and 20 something

And why is waterloo the best?(Coop i guess?) Is it worth for me to move because I currently live in west coast

Oct 26, 18 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

University rankings don’t mean shit when comparing individual programs. Waterloo is tip top because of the rigour if its courses, high threshold for acceptance, COOP, and will by far set you up with the best skills to start your Career. UofT is a general arts degree that only feeds its 3 year M.arch.

Oct 26, 18 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: