Archinect
anchor

Architecture + Development Graduate Education

AS33

This spring (May 2019), I will be graduating with a B.S. Architecture and a minor in business. I am interested in the intersection of architecture + development and would like to receive an M.Arch at a school that opens up opportunities to explore this interest. 

What M.Arch programs have opportunities to help students prepare for and explore the development side of architecture?

What schools offer dual degree (ex: M.Arch + M.S.RED) that create a background in development? What other dual degree options help create academic record suitable for architecture + development?  

How beneficial is an M.Arch with a Real Estate Development Certificate to prepare me for a role at the intersection of architecture + development? 

What asset does a developer see in an M.Arch? Starting role?

Oct 22, 18 10:52 pm
AS33

I wanted to bump this topic back to the top of feed

Oct 27, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Oft discussed on here rarely followed through with by most posters. Your best bet is to research schools near you that you think you have a shot at getting into, see what degrees and dual programs are offered. Reach out to firms you might like to work at and ask what they’re looking for in terms of education. Not a lot of developers on this forum, despite lots of chatter on the subject.
Oct 27, 18 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
placemaker

This is a topic that interests me as well. I currently work in real estate (not development, but I consult for developers), and I want to have more influence on the design of what is built. I am applying for an M. Arch now and hope to eventually work with a firm that does both development and design. I don't know about dual degree programs, but I have seen a few schools that offer certificates in real estate (Penn and Berkeley come to mind). I would recommend identifying some firms doing the kind of work you're interested in and reaching out via LinkedIn to chat about what they're looking for. 

I am personally a little concerned that we may have to create unique roles for ourselves; I haven't seen a lot of people with job titles that indicate an interdisciplinary role at those firms. It seems like they have their business people and their design people, and not a lot of crossover. We might have to start out on one side of that divide and gradually demonstrate value we can bring in both roles.

Oct 28, 18 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'd say reverse engineer it. Check out the places that do what you are interested in and see what would get you hired at such a place before signing up to any expensive programs.

Oct 28, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: