Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review - Round 2

jpeg dot jpeg

[Previous Thread: https://archinect.com/forum/th...]

Hello again! I've made several updates to my portfolio based on critiques from last time, and I'd love to hear what remains to be improved. 

My new and improved portfolio can be found here.

I've taken most of your advice into account apart from a few things: I'm still considering changing the text size. I haven't removed the blue + black color combo altogether, but I did reduce its prevalence in the portfolio. 

Note: the last two pages contain some old fine art pieces I've worked on in the past. I'm not sure if I'm going to include any of them, but if you feel strongly that I should or shouldn't I numbered them for easy reference.

Thanks for your help!

Oct 21, 18 1:43 pm
donutsfordough

I'm not going to read that text. Downsize.

I don't know, are you applying for a graphic design program? Typically people show some interest in buildings based on whatever experience they have or early classes.

Oct 21, 18 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

that may be the worst portfolio cover I’ve seen in the last few years

Oct 21, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
elianaacevedo

If this portfolio is for graphic design, I think its ok, and I'll change the cover ASAP

Oct 21, 18 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jpeg, glad to see you took our suggestions about progress work to heart.  Looking much better but like those above me say, do something about that cover page.  

Oct 22, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Honestly, I clicked on this just to see what the fuss was about regarding the cover page.  People are right; it needs more tlc.

I personally would appreciate if you reformatted so that all projects begin either on the left OR right side of the spread - not both.  Decide how many pages you want to dedicate to each project and edit down to that.  Also, it wasn't clear to me that the renderings and fine arts pieces were separate from the 'flood' project.  Why do those not have a title like the other projects?  If you do include those, I'd edit down to one spread.  Have a dedicated back page - can be just plain white.

Oct 22, 18 9:47 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Personally prefer blue only:

I like how the navigation of the projects is both represented on the cover and on the bottom edge of your pages, something different at least. Don't really like it that projects spill over to the next spread so the opening page of the new project is on the right side of the spread, I'd make each project an even number of pages, thereby you also could be a bit more generous with the Seekly project.  And give the document a back cover, finishing with those artworks feels unfinished.

Oct 23, 18 4:43 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Point taken on the cover page. Randomised seems to be the only one to have interpreted the cover page as a table of contents, but one for five isn't a great outcome so I'll consider changing it.

Start projects on even pages: got it. Although it seems to be a quirk of Issu that it defaults to spread view instead of single page view. In a pdf reader it should display as single pages, making the problem less apparent.

The last two pages with fine art pieces I just threw on there so you all could tell me if they should be included; it's for that reason that I didn't give them a very formal treatment. I'd appreciate any advice on which I should include, if any.

Thank you all for your comments so far!

Oct 23, 18 9:41 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

which schools are you considering? this still has a long way to go if you’re looking at the usual archinect suspects

Oct 23, 18 10:10 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

just don't kick the shit out of me when I say gsapp! I've read the criticism of that place many times on this forum. I know it's a huge longshot I get in, but hey I like the school. I visited it yesterday for their open house and I'm confident it's where I want to go. Always open to suggestions for other schools to apply to, but gsapp is my first choice.

Oct 23, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 
rickrossdaboss

Oof if this gets you in... I’ll have wasted the last three years of my life

Oct 23, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

nothing wrong with GSAPP, but calling this portfolio a "huge longshot" is a massive understatement. in its present form its not even worth submitting there.

Oct 23, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Do you have any suggestions on how it could be improved? (other than the cover)

Oct 23, 18 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

sure, look here http://bfy.tw/KVKg

Oct 23, 18 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: