Archinect
anchor

Critique my resume, please

ff9208

Hello everyone! I am looking for some constructive criticism on my resume. I am using it to apply for a few post-professional Master's programs. I am applying to: 

-McGill - Masters of Urban Design and Housing

- UT Austin - Masters of Urban Design

- U of Maryland - Masters of Science in Architecture

Thank you for looking at my resume and critiquing it! 

Resume: https://fjfdesign.files.wordpr...

Oct 19, 18 11:19 am
Non Sequitur

The FjF link is very confusing.  Continuing from your other thread, is that you (Fady Farjallah)?  If so, why the 2 different names and why is that firm's name not listed under your work experience? Also, that office is based in Lebanon, the website dates from 2014, and you claim to be from Guatemala... not to mention all the renderings are terrible and completed work pictures of very bad quality. Nothing here adds up to a cohesive resume.  Any one of these questions would cause me to dismiss your application.

Besides that, you have less than 1 year of work experienced spread between 3 internships.  Nothing there to critique unfortunately.  The CV is very bare-bones, which just adds to the confusion with the FjF site.

What post-grad programs look for is research credentials.  Relating to the McGill spot, do you have anything of substance published?  If not, why would anyone consider you for pre-phd level research courses with an empty CV and confusing folio/website links?

Oct 19, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 
ff9208

Thank you for your reply. I am not Fady Farjallah, my name is Francisco Farrera, and I am a 23 year old architecture student, currently getting my Masters of Architecture degree as part of a 4+2 program. Our program is not research based, but rather very much like a normal studio setting, therefore, not I do not have any publications or research under my name. The Masters of Urban Design and Housing at McGill is described on the website this way :"The UDH program enables students to develop specialized skills for contemporary practice in housing, urban design, the interpretation of cultural landscapes, and the management of human settlements." Which is why I saw it as a good option to become specialized in urban housing. Do you think it is impossible to enter the program directly from my MArch?

Oct 19, 18 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just noticed my browser defaulted to fjfdesign.com.  That clears up a whole load of things.

Oct 19, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I can remove the website link from my resume, I don't think it is developed enough and it is distracting. My portfolio can be much more concise and helpful.

Oct 19, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I still think my website is not a good complement. I want to focus on the portfolio more and take the website out. This is my portfolio now (please consider I arranged it for some internship applications, so I will need to tailor it to show more process and evidence of thought). https://fjfdesign.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/summer-2018-portfolio.pdf

Oct 19, 18 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No need to remove the link... turns out there is an identical design chump with the same design office name and I mistook that as yours. Big difference and have a look for yourself if curious. Anyways, your resume means little to the application process as it is mostly a formality. Its goal is to highlight previous research gigs and/or design awards, not verify previous work experience. What will likely be the governing factor is your letter of intent (hopefully they require one) which should tie-in nicely with the broad scope of your application portfolio. For example, if your focus is on urban, don't waste full-bleed pages to generic interior kitchen renderings. I would recommend limiting your professional work and expand on the academic projects. At a casual glance, they have good urban design values.

Oct 19, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

Thank you for the feedback. Yes they require a "research intent", which I have done a first draft of already. I am proposing research in urban settlements in poor conditions around Guatemala city. I will remove my suburban residential projects from the academic portfolio, and show the tiny homes through a different scope (maybe the idea of minimalistic dwelling spaces in cities, and mobile units).

Oct 19, 18 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I graduated from my Bachelors with a 3.66./4.0, and currently hold a 3.75 in my masters. With a good statement of intent and recommendations and after polishing my portfolio, do you think I stand a chance to enter McGill?

Oct 19, 18 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I went to fjfdesign.com, and wow.

Oct 19, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, hopefully that puts my earlier comments in perspective... Anyways, what I would say is consider your competition for entry into McGill. Its name and reputation attracts a great deal of international applicants and many of them aim to continue in academia post post-prof degree. This means your competition might very have existing published works to their name. Something to consider when you start to organize your portfolio pages since the images will need to compensate. It would also help if you knew the min grade cut-off and typical yearly admittance numbers. Good luck

Oct 19, 18 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

Thank you again for your help. I might change my website domain, as I wonder how many people have mistaken it for the .com version. I will strengthen my portfolio and do my best on the statement of research intent. I'm also applying to Ryerson's Master of Building Science as a second choice. I hear it has a good sustainability and building systems content. How do you think I would stand there? Is it more likely to get in than McGill? I am well above the GPA application averages and cut offs. For both schools. I have the equivalent to a 92 in my undergrad and 94 maste
r's so far.

Oct 19, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Your odds are much better at Ryerson as that is still considered a technical school. It's neither bad or top of the game, but likely won't be what you're looking for since it's geared towards canadian practice. Grades are looked at once to ensure you meet the minimum entrance standards, then again following portfolio review (sometimes only once).

Oct 19, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

Awesome. Thank you for all of your help. I might post again in a few days with an updated portfolio. Would you be willing to look at my statement of research intent and offer some advice? I understand if this falls out of the ethical grounds of an application.

Oct 19, 18 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I appreciate the thought, but I always refrain from commenting on statements. I cannot justify the time and would not bring anything of substance compared to that of a peer, or a current prof. They are the ones who should advise on statements, not random strangers online. Cheers

Oct 19, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

Fair enough and very true. Thank you for all your help!

Oct 19, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff9208

I graduated from my Bachelors with a 3.66./4.0, and currently hold a 3.75 in my masters. With a good statement of intent and recommendations and after polishing my portfolio, do you think I stand a chance to enter McGill?

Oct 19, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

i think you can summarize your skills in a few lines but it would be helpful if you list some of the projects you worked on when you interned. 

Oct 19, 18 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: