Archinect
anchor

Looking for Tips and Resources for Portfolio

daxteras

I'm starting my applications for university here in Canada and most of the universities are looking for a portfolio to apply. I'm just wondering if anyone has tips or resources on making one. I have an idea wear to start but could definitely use some help. 

Thanks

Oct 7, 18 1:24 pm
Non Sequitur

Are you applying for a bacherlor's degree in architecture studies (BAS) or a Master's in Architecture (MArch)?  Big difference between both.

Also, portfolios (specifically for undergrad applications) are collections are built from many years of work... not just made up for the sake of the university application.  Do you have many years of painting, sketching, sculpting works that you can pull from?

Oct 7, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
proximity

For the record my undergrad portfolio was made up of primarily work from prerequisite art/drawing classes. There is nothing wrong with work done for the sake of a application portfolio so long as it demonstrates capability, understanding, and potential .

Oct 8, 18 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
daxteras

i will be applying for BAS. I suppose I have some stuff to pull from but Its not like I have folders of painting and sketches ive done. I just do a little here and there. Ive done a few techical drawings and models but nothing too advanced. I just feel like I don't have what I need right now. 

Oct 7, 18 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Your folio should demonstrate that you understand the basics: Scale, proportion, light, shadow, composition, etc. Don't try to show any architecture because you don't know shit, so stick to a medium and subject matter you know well.

Oct 8, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
proximity

Get Indesign and start adding work. Pay close attention to layout, organization, margin, alignment, color, font choice, etc. Make everything extremely intentional. If an image is .375" from the page border it should be because you wanted it exactly there, not because that is where you mouse happened to fall.

Searching for architecture portfolios on Issuu can be good for providing inspiration.

Oct 8, 18 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: