Archinect
anchor

What books should I read?

TheYoungBuck

So, a little context,

I dropped out of Aerospace engineering close to two years ago now and have found a desire to do something with construction/architecture. Currently, I am a draftsman at a small company that cheifly designs and builds commercial buildings/offices. The projects that we do are mostly cookie cutter boxes but i love even the small amount of designing which i have to do. I would love to go back to school for architecture or even be a draftsman at an office for a firm, the problem is that I feel slightly uneducated for that sort of position. I would like to know what books i should read in order to familiarize myself with architectural concepts and so forth! Thanks for any and all responses.

Oct 1, 18 12:09 am
Non Sequitur

The point of the first half of architecture school is to build up a students method of thinking through design problems, not mimic existing styles/concepts.  Plenty of differents paths available so it's rather difficult to just list out a "get rich quick" type plan here.  Perhaps you'll find something that sticks in the list below.

ArchDaily Book List

My personal favorites from back in the day which had big impacts are Mutations, Superstudio: Life Without Objects, Anything by Dr. Ching, Anything by Yona Friedman, MVRDV's KM3.

If you want a bunny-slope book, pick up Yes is More.

Oct 1, 18 8:50 am  · 
 · 
TheYoungBuck

Thank you for the response and the recommendations. Once i have my professional certifications in AutoCad and Revit, the books you recommended will be the first ones i pick up!

Nov 4, 18 10:47 am  · 
 · 
randomised

And novels, read novels, trigger that imagination.

Oct 1, 18 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Architectural Graphic Standards. Learn about building. The very last thing we need are more self-styled "master of design" creating solutions to problems that don't exist.

Technically competent people are always in demand. Designers need them to turn their wet dreams into reality.

Oct 1, 18 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
TheYoungBuck

​Miles, Ive already purchased 2012 AGS and have had it for about a year, there is a lot of good reference materials in there however i tend to take a look at the manufacturer website and see installation instructions and then find a happy medium between the two. I know that i dont know enough to start making things up! Thanks

Nov 4, 18 10:45 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

go work for elon, he wants to build a world in mars, you know how to build things for 0 atmosphere right?

Oct 1, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
TheYoungBuck

Would you happen to know of the link for the online applications?

Nov 4, 18 10:46 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

https://www.spacex.com/careers

Nov 5, 18 10:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: