Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review

jpeg dot jpeg

Hello! I'm trying to apply for M. Arch I programs and I'd love to get some thoughtful criticism on my portfolio

I studied graphic design for undergrad, so the projects that are architecture related were all done outside of an academic setting.

The last few pages are blank because I'm trying to decide what other projects to include. I have a few fine art paintings and drawings I could throw in, as well as projects on my website. If any of you want to have a look at my work on there and give me some advice on what else to include I'd appreciate it!

I know everyone on here is known for being too soft on these portfolio reviews, so really, don't hold back!

Also, the video I reference in the NASA project can be found here.

Sep 27, 18 10:30 am
Non Sequitur

There is nothing to critique... so little substance. 

Since you have no architecture background, don't try and come up with architecture'ish stuff.  Show your creative thinking chops and design flair in a medium and subject matter you've actually studied.  So far, it's just a collection of polished final images and zero progress images.  Where are the concept sketches, the dirty napkin doodles, the trial & error experiments?  I'll give you points for listing your interests under habits.  

Sep 27, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Point taken for the architecture stuff. I'm quite cynical about graphic design being so cosmetic, so I shied away from using anything less than my strongest/ most thoughtful work from that field.

Sep 27, 18 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Here's a secret: it's just as, if not more important, to demonstrate how you think about design, than actually design. Those who will be reviewing the work need to see that you understand the basics (scale, shape, proportions, light, etc) and can manipulate those in interesting ways. More often than not, this is easiest to see in the discarded concept sketches that lead to that final shiny image.

Sep 27, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

That's helpful, thanks. Re: "so little substance," could you expand on that some more? I take your point about showcasing the process images more (there are a few in the portfolio but I underemphasized them) but I'm curious if you're saying the justifications I included for my design decisions were vapid, or that I just need more images, etc. Compared to architecture I find the field of graphic design itself to be pretty insubstantial, so any specifics you can offer me would be much appreciated.

Sep 27, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Your jackrabbit procession drawings are interesting and certainly hit the "show how you think" mark but they are way too small. Consider their impact if you had a full spread, or two, solely dedicate to those sketches. Same thing with any sketches that lead to the box and business card designs. The other sketches in the replication dynamic project should be burned as they do not do you any favours. I'd just leave that project out completely actually.

Sep 27, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

That's super helpful, thanks! I plan on cutting all the architecture stuff, but I'm curious to know why replication dynamic in particular would be detrimental to show. I figure it just looks like someone without an architecture background made it? Also, were you being sarcastic about listing my interests under habits?

Sep 27, 18 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To your first point, the dynamic project is bad. Plain and simple. I've seen and interviewed nearly 100 undergrad arch applicants and something like this immediately sours the review. I say it's the equivalent of a high-school kid moving around blocks in sketchup trying to replicate their parent's subburban house. the odd axo'esque sketch with the pink walking swirls could be interesting, but it's very amateurish. That project would be far better represented by a few good hand-drawn perspectives rather than a sloppy photoshop cut/paste.

To your second point, no, I am not being sarcastic.  I think using "habits" as title is funny but as Bloopox notes below, it's entirely unnecessary to include.

Sep 27, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Agreed with NS.  Ditch the stuff that's trying to be architecture.  Once you get going, you'll look back and laugh at what you thought you were doing.  Work on polishing your student/professional work in the field you are the most familiar with.  Since you don't have an architecture background, they want to see what skills and eye you have not necessarily your level of familiarity with architecture.

I'd think about adding the transit brewery work.  It's cool to see a final product, but include the sketches you have on your website too.  I'd remove the blue coloring you've added to them.  

Just a note - and this could be just my hang up - why is all of your text so huge?  It's like you don't have enough images, etc., so you've filled it up with a huge font size.  This may not have been your intent, but that is how it comes across in this draft.

Sep 27, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Yeah I figured the architecture stuff probably looks corny to a trained eye, but I was trying to show where my interests within architecture lie. I guess that's what the SoP is for. Point taken.

The size of the text actually reminds me of another question: when they're reviewing this stuff, are they viewing it on screen or printing it out? I assumed they'd be viewing it on screen, so I made the text larger. Either way I'll definitely reduce the size.

Thanks for your comments.

Sep 27, 18 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

They're usually doing some of each. The time that's actually spent on each candidate when the committee gets together as a whole averages only a minute or two. Really. That's not an exaggeration of how minimal that time is. Almost all of the perusal of portfolios happens on individual committee members' own time. Some of these people tend to print out the portfolios that are assigned to them, especially in the latter stages when the applicant pool is small-ish, so that they can write notes and such, and have those at the table with them when the committee convenes again.

Sep 27, 18 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Thank you for your insight, this is extremely helpful.

Sep 27, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Ditch the word "portfolio" on the cover.  They know that.  Make your name much smaller - white space is your friend.  Omit the "thank you for your consideration" page.  Don't list organization memberships under "Education".  Give them their own category.  Consider deleting your high school info - by grad school that's not typically included anymore, with a few exceptions (Eagle Scout, and Presidential Scholar are the only childhood accomplishments I can think of that are usually retained on a resume into adulthood.)  Delete "listening to podcasts" and "observing in the built environment" - those aren't resume material - in fact the whole "Habits" paragraph can go.  Presumably you graduated with a degree from your undergrad studies since they lasted 4 years and you're applying to grad school?  And yet you don't state what that degree was (BA, BFA BS, AB...?)

Sep 27, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

But it's ok to add academic interests I think. Definitely not 'observing...' but if you spend your free time reading about French history or biology, or maybe you play an instrument, that's probably ok. That kind of stuff has helped me get a job before, but not sure where it ranks for academic CV.

Sep 27, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Playing an instrument, excelling in a sport, etc. are ok... they can help particularly if you've achieved something unusual in those areas (i.e. if you're an Olympic swimmer you should definitely include that - universities like to collect people with high-level achievements even if they're entirely irrelevant to the person's intended field of study) - but I'd disagree about reading in your free time. Typically "Interests"/"Hobbies"/"Habits" come across as unnecessary filler categories, almost as bad as including a half-page of graphs or your proficiency at every software you've ever tried, and it would be better to leave the resume sparser.

Sep 27, 18 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Noted. I'll probably maintain the academic interests (my interest in urban planning and public policy seem relevant) but yeah the other stuff is unnecessary. Thanks for your advice.

Sep 28, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

Get rid of that resume page entirely. You upload a separate resume file in your applications, and many schools have page limits. Dont waste the valuable space with redundant information.

Sep 27, 18 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Noted. Thanks for your advice.

Sep 28, 18 9:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Pages 16-20 are my favourite

Sep 28, 18 3:46 am  · 
 · 
Aaptidarshan

First thing, you look to have some interesting projects, but that seems to be lost with how all your images look to be just thrown onto the pages. 

Sep 28, 18 5:04 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Yeah, based on your and others advice I plan on spreading out the projects rather than cramming them in. I'm glad you think some of them are interesting despite my awkward formatting!

Sep 28, 18 9:07 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

Thanks everyone for your comments. A question about the last project, Flood: In the app I framed this as a sort of absurdist urban planning intervention, but originally the project was from art school when we were tasked to come up with a hypothetical partnership work between ourselves and a famous artist. I chose Michael Heizer, and I sort of adapted the rural explorations of negative space in works like Double Negative to an urban environment where negative space was already present in the urban fabric. My thinking was that where Heizer removed something from the rural mass, Flood could add a massing to the negative space of the urban interstate.

Would Flood as an art school project/land art installation be more salient to reviewers than the current framing of the project? Or should I just scrap it entirely? 

Sep 28, 18 9:03 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I wouldn't reframe art school projects as urban planning interventions, I would also scrap using the word/title urbanist from your website (way too pretentious if you ask me). I personally really dislike the use of black and RGB-blue in your portfolio side by side, they bite, choose one (I like how it looks on your website), if you choose blue and use Cooper Lt BT you are being nicely coherent :) I do really like the subversive Russian Constructivist appeal of your NASA asterisk and how that is used spatially, your most spatial project, reminds me of the Prada Transformer by OMA :) But your spatial projects (wouldn't call them architecture) are sending mixed messages, they might simply lack depth.  And is that huge "thank you for your consideration" really necessary?

Sep 28, 18 10:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Oh and good to know that PUREHOUSE LAB or Co-Liv as they are known currently and Vectuel are profiting from slavery with their unpaid internships, great you called them out in your résumé.

Sep 28, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

You are familiar with Co-liv?

Sep 28, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Nope, just read in your résumé that you had an unpaid internship a.k.a. slavery..

Sep 28, 18 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

ha, good catch there Rando. Hayes, listing on your resume that you've worked unpaid gigs is exceptionally poisonous. You don't know your value if you're not paid.

Sep 28, 18 11:53 am  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

I've done a lot of reading about unpaid internships and you both are totally right I should omit that part. To defend myself, I spent the spring leading up to that summer applying my ass off for internships and I couldn't get a single paid internship. Maybe I started applying too late or maybe my work just sucked and no one wanted to pay me, but I decided it was preferable to accept an evaluation of zero dollars and learn something instead of playing xbox all summer. I know I'm part of the problem. @ randomised I asked about Co-liv because I don't explicitly mention that I rebranded purehouse lab to co-liv, so I figured you must have heard of it elsewhere.

Sep 28, 18 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

No I just googled them today and found out they are now called Co-Liv, so maybe if this post climbs the google results they'll have to rebrand again ;)

Sep 28, 18 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
jpeg dot jpeg

I would love to avoid that scenario. Also, thanks for your initial comment. I'm flattered by your reading of the NASA logo as allusions to constructivism and evocative of an OMA project. I hope that project surpasses those on pages 16-20 ;)

Sep 28, 18 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: