Archinect
anchor

Controlling tutors

Kwhite01

So basically I have this tutor who is trying to hijack everyones/my project. If something isn't done his way he will criticize it and specifically tell you how he would do it. This is great if you just want a good grade because you just do whatever he wants. For the past few weeks I have been trying to convince him of my idea but he just tells me to do it his way without ever really providing useful feedback on why mine is wrong. I spoke to another tutor who thinks my idea is good, do you think I should sacrifice my design ideas to make my tutor happy? He absolutely ripped a kid last week when he questioned his feedback.

Sep 25, 18 10:05 am
archinine
Oh to be in school. Wait til you start working and have real issues. Sounds like this lame tutor never got a real job.
Sep 25, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Sounds like this tutor is acting like a client.

Sep 25, 18 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Kwhite01

This tutor is an academic, he said he only practiced for a year before going back to university to do a PHD etc. Its probably ignorant but I don't find this type of tutor as helpful as the ones who still or have practiced for some years.

Sep 25, 18 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

School is your opportunity to push yourself, find your preferred aesthetic, and learn about all the masters in the trade.  As already pointed out above, you will have many years of listening to the paying client tell you how to design.  Relish this chance to validate your own ideas.  Run with it and don't look back--shitty tutors be damned.

Sep 25, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Have you considered that your design is perhaps not that great? That "kid" reference in your last sentence gives me enough to suspect an attitude problem. 

With the obvious aside, school is made for mistakes.  Do what you think works with your project and offer intelligent reasons as to why/how you shaped your project.  Can you speak clearly about intent? Can you articulate your design moves without vague flimsy unfinished drawings?  If so, then fuck that guy/gall and lay down the awesome sauce.

Sep 25, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Kwhite01

Yeah that "kid" thing was in the heat of the moment and in retrospect an unnecessary comment. Regardless thanks for the comment

Sep 25, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If you can't stand up against your tutor and defend your design and explain why you believe in it, just forget it and go do something else.

Sep 25, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

yeah, I can see this happening soon. 

Guess Crit: Hey student, why did you do this this way?  

Student: Because my prof told me so. 

Guess Crit: Ah, so you literally have zero creative involvement in this project. Got it. Take your B grade. Next student please.

Student: But I did all that you said

Guess Crit: And I'm sure you'll become a mediocre washroom draftsmen and or studio prof one day.  Next student please.

Sep 25, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've definitely seen that happen, in so many words.

Sep 25, 18 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Kwhite01

Yeah fair enough

Sep 25, 18 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I remember having an Italian tutor one semester and him telling us how lucky we were to have so much autonomy in our own projects. Apparently in Italian Architecture schools your designs were really your professor's designs and you were just a production team for their ideas. 

But this was almost 2 decades ago, so not sure how any schools anywhere operate these days. 

OP what country are you studying in? 

Sep 25, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Kwhite01

Australia. I wouldn't say its nearly as bad as what you described in Italy. I think it may be a product of how the studios are run here, with the professors/tutors pitching a studio to the department and then being judged on the success of that studio based on the students work. Therefore if a studio does poorly in moderation then it reflects badly on the professor and there chances for picking up a studio next semester.

Sep 25, 18 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

If you need the grade, follow your tutor’s suggestions. If grades dont matter, do your own thing without jeopardizing your graduation.

Sep 25, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Kwhite01

Good point, it is probably as simple as that. Cheers.

Sep 25, 18 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

+1

Oct 2, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: