Archinect
anchor

Best advice for M arch two year program?

babyarchitect1

Instead of limiting my post to just those few in the academia section I wanted to post universally and see if anyone has any feedback. 

I am finishing up my undergraduate degree with a B of arts in architecture and am looking to change schools for the professional route. I transferred into the architecture school at my uni two years in so i have been in school for a total of six years. I would like to transfer somewhere to get the remaining education for the the professional degree. While my current uni is relatively average on a country level its one of the very few accredited programs in my state. 

What do people recommend in terms of professional degrees in architecture that are only two years? I'm pretty highly ranked in my own school but that probably doesn't rank similarly to more advanced schools. Because of my ranking in school right now, I have the ability to stay here and do a quick 40 hour curriculum for M arch. While not entirely the worst option, I have been thinking about transferring simply so that I can have a new experience in study with new professors and curriculums. 

I have a few schools in mind but I have heard from others that an March from any school that isn't an ivy but is super expensive is a waste of money. I am also looking for a 2 year program. I just technically spent 6 years of undergrad so I don't want to spend a whole 3 years just for March. Its wouldn't be the worst but I would like to get out and start earning my way up as well.  I have a few schools in mind but I just wanted to get some ideas from those that may know more about it. 

I'm more focused on using school as a way of rounding out my abilities to become a designer. I have no desire to be one of the endless college students that simply shuffle from one school to another doing TA jobs and research but never actually getting licensed or working outside of the classroom. People like that seem to be frequent at my current school and It just isn't me. i do have internship experience and would like to continue to focus my longterm goals on becoming a professional. 

Sep 13, 18 2:43 pm
Non Sequitur

Take the shortest and cheapest path that will allow you to become licensed.  The real world starts outside of school.

Sep 13, 18 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

With a B.Arts in Architecture degree, you may or may not be admitted to 2 year programs.  I would contact the schools directly and see what information they'll give you regarding what path you're eligible for.  Some schools require even those with a 4 year BS degree to take the 3 year path depending on the curriculum of the school you're coming from and the school you're planning to attend.  

On the other hand, there may be a way you can start the 3 year path and have some courses waived depending on the curriculum of your BArts program.  If you can show, for instance, that you've taken architectural history surveys, they may let you out of taking that course.  You'd still have to take studios, but less other coursework.  

Similar to Non, I would say cheap and fast is ideal for an MArch.  Most programs don't even scratch the surface of work you'll be doing as a full-time employee at a firm.  You really start learning what you need when you get on the job. 

Sep 13, 18 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: