Archinect
anchor

New graduate considering pirated Lumion for M.Arch submission portfolio

somekiwi

Hi guys,

So I just graduated a couple of months ago, and I'm putting together my portfolio for a master's degree submission. My worry lies in the fact both universities I'm submitting to are among the highest ranked globally. I'm assuming this means a higher level of scrutiny of each portfolio.

Which brings me to my question: Could using a pirated version of Lumion cause problems at such institutions? I would've used the educational version, but the problem is individuals aren't eligible for the license. I also can't lie about this because the edu license adds a watermark to each render. If they figure out it's Lumion they'll know it's pirated.

In case I shouldn't use it, are there any free alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Sep 9, 18 10:22 am
10974ks---

don’t use it schools use an algorithm that scans images for plagiarism and pirated softwares. If your images are found out, and they will be, your application will be thrown out. Or worse, you will be arrested, especially because by posting this thread you are leaving proof of your intent to use illegally obtained software. 

Sep 9, 18 10:48 am  · 
somekiwi

Thanks for the advice. I've been searching for other options and learned about an affordable vray license. Do you know of any better affordable options or is vray sufficient?

Sep 9, 18 1:21 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

This is true. I can now almost always spot the images in folios that were made using pirated software. You gota pay to play so if you can't afford the licensing, don't bother applying.

Sep 9, 18 3:35 pm  · 
inf.pln

this is the dumbest comment I have ever read. Admissions boards to universities have no stake or incentive to report students or applicants to corporations for using pirated software. The corporations that produce these softwares have no incentive to prosecute students for using these softwares. The "You gota pay to play so if you can't afford the licensing, don't bother applying" comment is possibly the most infuriating thing I have ever read.

Mar 8, 20 4:55 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

so, is that why you brought back this dumb thread from the dead?

Mar 8, 20 5:29 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

^you're not particularly bright, are you yourmom? Hear that? That's the sound of satire passing over your empty head.

Sep 16, 22 9:15 pm  · 
2  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

You know who cares about a thread that is four years old, his mom. Dopey dipshit.

Sep 16, 22 9:29 pm  · 
1  ·  1
randomised

Just use a pirated version and photoshop the watermark in it ;)

Sep 9, 18 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You say you're applying to the highest ranked universities.  If so, this Lumion vs. vray thing is a non-issue, as those schools tend not to like or care about slick renderings anyway. They don't care about your digital modeling and rendering skills or about what software you know.  You could do your whole portfolio with free Sketchup or with Microsoft Paint for that matter, and it wouldn't hurt your chances and might help them.  What admissions committees care about most is visual evidence of your thought process and a sense that you don't give up easily and will obsessively iterate.  To that end a portfolio full of 20 hand-doodled views or crumpled-paper models of the same thing, with slight variations, is much better than one beautiful rendering.   Reworking all your undergrad projects is probably unnecessary - and if you are going to do that you'd be better off recreating the "getting there" design process artifacts than reworking the end product.

Sep 10, 18 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

While I agree, I do think it's funny. The advice is to NOT do another iteration of your project (which is the intent of what the schools want to see) but to focus on documenting as many iterations of the most flavorful part of your process (what the schools will actually look at). Imagine trying to actually document your process, not only would the portfolio be over 100 pages for each project, but 90% of it would be garbage... duh, that's why it didn't make the cut and that's why it's called trash paper. It's all about post-rationalization and curating the cream of the crop to look like you had a plan all along and were doggedly exploring the iterations of said vision.

Sep 12, 18 7:38 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Get sketchup and so some stupid lazy "millennial renderings". School lap up that shit, especially if you wax some nice poetic with it.
Sep 11, 18 2:09 am  · 
archiwutm8

Wait, schools care about this shit?

Sep 11, 18 2:51 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

Can you not send them a hard copy? Schools I applied to for my MArch offered that option.

Sep 11, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
designerwriterbuilder

Please, lets not scare the young people here. Schools do not have the capabilities to check for work done on pirated software, nor do they wish to spend the time and effort it takes to find that out. They already spend so little time on each portfolio submission as it is.

With that being said, however, please don't use images taken from Lumion. They're more times than not ugly and sterile. While these may work for commercial firms that care about the bottom line, you as a student should spend the effort to create images that are personalized to your design sense. You're better off taking screens from your model and desaturating the image and then overlaying that with make2d linework.

I suggest you take a look at the successful portfolios for GSD and Yale SOA on issuu. How many Lumion renders do they contain?

Sep 11, 18 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, don't ruin our fun.

Sep 12, 18 8:05 am  · 
SneakyPete

I don't wish to start an argument, however I'd like to suggest an alternative view which is to bring school work in line with real life. While the bottom line of a financially sound firm is profit, the bottom line of a student should be health. If beautiful, artful, personal renders going the way of the dodo would allow arch schools to become more healthy experiences for the students AND allow them to learn the ACTUAL SKILLS they will be using during their careers, I'd call that a win.

Sep 12, 18 11:52 am  · 
 · 
auninja91

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Sep 12, 18 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
peijunfei

Don't listen to some ppl above, they just made up something scares you. The cracked version softwares are not good to use, if you are not experienced computer user, may just get you computer infected by virus.

Besides that, as a student, you could use it privately, in your personal computer, and do NOT share it with your friends or mates. Do NOT use it for commercial purpose. These 2 are the baselines. As a previous member of portfolio review board in Univ. , I can tell you we will not to, not need to and do not have time to check what software you use, nor if you are using them with legit lisences. We are more caring about how you use those tools to express and represent your idea.

Jan 20, 20 3:49 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_gram

lol sorry but everyone at my school use pirate software, even some faculty members. There is no way pirate lumion or rhino to make any difference from the real software. You have to think that the software engineers who cracked the software has to write extra code to make it produce different image, like who has time to do that? the registration mechanism of software is completely separated from the actual functions from the software. they are just different files with code

Mar 9, 20 10:24 pm  · 
1  · 
archi_gram

its kind of unfortunately but school do not use any mechanisms to detect plagiarisms in college applications, besides eyes. That means if you used stock image and the professors reviewing your application on an ipad can't recognize copyright issues, then nothing will happen.  Not the case if you put a le corbusier building in there and claim your own because that's common knowledge. I don't endorse it, but unfortunately it all depends on if the professor looking at your portfolio thinks he or she has seem the artwork before

Mar 9, 20 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: