Archinect
anchor

New laptop, second year architecture student

Lokid

Hello everyone! 

I've noticed from looking through other threads on this website that most people here are from the US. I'm an architecture student from continental European country and our form of study is very traditional. In a few weeks I will be entering my second year of architecture; this is the first time I will be using a laptop at all for my assignments. Having done some research, it seems that the architecture community is very divided when it comes to technology. Some prefer macOS, some HP.

As I already own a macbook (2010, 13") that cannot run safari and itunes at the same time, I thought it prudent to upgrade to a somewhat newer, better version. I considered switching to something other than apple, but unfortunately most my tutors own macbooks, and they encourage us to get them as well. 

My question is, whether someone can fill me in on all the hardware needed (and why) and to what degree (4gb, 8gb, 16gb etc), so that I can better select a laptop to buy. 

(I already know that many will suggest getting a desktop computer and a smaller laptop, but this is not an option. At my university, students rarely work at home) 

Thank you! 

Sep 8, 18 2:10 pm
meganattor

I think you question could be better pointed towards a technology/hardware based forum. Google will find many for you.
There are a couple of questions that come up: Budget?! as this will be the primary factor influencing what you buy. So in conclusion, buy the most expensive specs you can afford, and don't buy Apple products as they are not the best option if you're main metric is performance. 

Sep 8, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Get the best PC you can afford... make sure it's a 17" model with loads of ventilation.

No one is discussing MAC vs HP... 

Sep 8, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: