Archinect
anchor

Montreal or Vancouver

NotABot

Hi Everyone,

I studied for my Bachelor and Masters in Montreal. I will start my career in few months and hopefully, find an internship somewhere. I have an opportunity to move to Vancouver and was looking for advise if a city was better than the other. French is my first language and I'm okay in English.

Thank you!

Aug 4, 18 12:20 pm
Non Sequitur

Montreal is far better in terms of urban life (cheaper, smaller scale, etc) but it suffers from being in Quebec.  This is a handicap that Vancouver does not have plus the added bonus of living near the Rockies.  Both hockey teams are pretty bad ATM, so no points in that category.

Obvious  points aside, the work situation is different in Vancouver compared to Montreal.  For one, a very large part of Vancouver is high-density high-rise condos so you could easily find yourself in a 300+ employee firm if you're not too comfortable putting down CDs in english.  I have the sense that offices are generally smaller in montreal.

As an aside, "internships" do not exist in Canada as they do in other parts of world.  Hurrah for moving on from slavery.  You get hired as junior design or technical staff and can only claim intern-architect if you're registered in at least one province.  On that point, consider where you eventually want to work/live.  If your goal is to eventually practice in montreal, you need to complete a certain minimum hours in that province before writing the exams. The same applies to all other provinces/territories.

Aug 16, 18 8:33 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Montreal hands down since you mentioned you speak French. If I spoke French I’d be in Montreal too. 

Aug 16, 18 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Same as McTaco. I'd move to Montreal as a first choice when I return to Canada, but I'm FSL - makes it a bit more difficult to work there. There is a lot of great work coming out of Montreal now as well.

Aug 16, 18 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: