Archinect
anchor

disaster mitigation

arayna

hi,
I'm an architecture student and my thesis topic will focus on the people affected by disasters and measures that can be taken before disasters i.e.disaster preparedness. I'm designing a disaster mitigation centre which will provide a place for people(local communities, architects, engineers) to come and prepare the various alternative form of shelters and also teach the local people so that they can be prepared during disasters and help others. I'm looking for any kind of help you can provide also I'm aiming at Orissa cyclones so if you have any idea of an appropriate site for this it would be really helpful to me.

Jul 31, 18 4:42 pm
Non Sequitur
Relocate permanently to non disaster zones? Where is the thesis?
Jul 31, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
arayna

it's for helping those people those modules could reach out to them during disasters .i'm designing a place where those moduled could be made and tested and taught

Aug 8, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so... some sort of community centre. Got it, but that's not a thesis; it's just a general project idea. I can't imagine this being a very difficult subject to research. Loads of examples of design solutions for difficult environments in all scales.

Aug 8, 18 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
arayna

what's wrong with that there so many art or heritage centres present but non for disaster awareness. As an architect, it's up to me how I'm designing a place which would help in public awareness and preparedness. The centre will have a PTSD centre bcz people who have suffered may want to save others,a memorial like how people go to places for candle march and things and a teaching place bringing together all the communities involved . Creating such a place could increase public awareness and bring more people's attention towards natural disasters so that there is more help available when required.

Aug 8, 18 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Disasters do plenty by themselves to draw attention... but seriously, what are you looking for here? You've just explained a very basic design concept. Take it and run with it but keep in mind that architecture does not in itself solve any of these issues. You could, for example, take an empty Wall Mart shell and it could serve any (or all) of the issues you've raised. You need to put in some effort instead of taking the lazy route by looking online for others to do your homework.

Aug 8, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
arayna

I'm not asking you to do my homework. If you read the above discussion properly you'll find out I was asking for any knowledge about site or case studies. And yes it is a very basic design concept, I've just started it.

Aug 8, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

asking for others to recommend a site is asking to do your work for you

Aug 8, 18 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It depends on the program. At some schools "thesis" is just what they call a year-long or semester-long project in your last year, and it's nothing more than another studio project, but with a topic selected by the student. But in most schools, particularly for M.Arch programs, a thesis topic won't be approved unless it has some core question, hypothesis, and proposed methodology. It's possible that the end result of that could be fairly simple in presentation, but the issues being addressed would typically be a lot more complex.

Aug 8, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

So yeah...

Native peoples developed methods of construction that were suited to their region.  In seismically active areas, a lot of structures were built to deal with the movement.  In flood prone areas, they were built to be above the waters, allow flow-through, or movable.  The other option was to have something easily constructed that could be easily replaced. 

More recently, we've gone for cheap, repeatable construction that does not adapt to the region.  Then when the disaster hits, you have people with no homes because the structures were not designed for that disaster.

My advice:  look at the construction that is native to a region.  See why they did what they did.  Then find something usable out of that.  Building some shelter to go to after the shit has hit the fan isn't the solution. So, at least your idea is a center to teach preparation.  Maybe your center is there to teach historic construction techniques.  

Jul 31, 18 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
arayna

yes, that's what I want, teaching those techniques to people so that they can help themselves and the others. And no such centre is present in india for any kind of case study!

Aug 8, 18 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

You may be interested in checking out our most recent issue of Ed, "The Architecture of Disaster" - ed.archinect.com

Jul 31, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Not sure what country you're in, but speaking from a USA perspective, FEMA has some excellent free resources that you can download based on the type of disaster scenario (earthquake, tornadoes, hurricane, etc.) which usually include case studies and design guidelines for preparedness. 

Aug 1, 18 9:10 am  · 
 · 
arayna

hi, i'm from India

Aug 8, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: