Archinect
anchor

Research paper - Helpful in masters application ?

salonee.balakrishnan

I am planning to apply for the upcoming fall semester and was wondering if having a research paper published may be helpful in getting in the school I want. ( Mainly Upenn, UMass and Harvard MLA courses are on top of my list ) 

I have done B.Arch and have 3 years of professional experience in a landscape firm. I am currently teaching bachelors of architecture at a college as a lecturer. 

Salonee

Jul 29, 18 11:25 am
b3tadine[sutures]

What is your analysis of this?

Jul 29, 18 11:44 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Is your question whether you should list on a resume a paper that you've already had published?  If so, the answer is yes.

Or is your question whether you should push to get a paper published before applying?  If so, the answer is it depends:  do you seriously have an interest in getting a paper published, and would you do that whether or not you were applying to graduate programs?  If so then yes.  If no then no.

It's not something that's likely to get a whole lot of notice or make or break your application.  Many applicants have published, many haven't, and your resume won't get all that much scrutiny.  The most important things are your portfolio and recommendations. Don't include the paper itself in your application - it likely won't make it to the admissions committee anyway, as items that weren't requested typically just get filed - unless you bind it into your porftfolio, which is rather obnoxious, and it probably won't be read that way either.

Jul 29, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
salonee.balakrishnan

Thank you for your reply. My question was if I should push to get a paper published before applying. I think I'd rather then spend my time and energy making my portfolio the best I can. From what I gather on the community discussions here and otherwise that portfolio holds more importance than research papers.

Jul 30, 18 1:29 am  · 
 · 
username_af

I\d say focus on your essays and your portfolio for sure! 

Check out issuu if you're looking for inspiration.

Aug 2, 18 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: