Archinect
anchor

UK undergraduate in architecture go to US for graduate schools?

gnaf

Hi, 

I am a US high school student who wants to study architecture for undergrad in UK but eventually return to US for work. The main reasons that I want to go to UK for undergrad are that UK schools' tuition is still a lot cheaper than most of US private schools', and secondly having a chance to study in Europe has always been appealing to me. 

My primary concern is that, because RIBA and NAAB accreditation are not interchangeable, hence UK undergrad programs would be considered as non-professional and would need to complete a M.Arch to be accredited, does it matter where do you go to undergrad to? Anyone with similar experiences here? 

Any advice, suggestions and opinions are really appreciated, thanks in advance! 

Jul 27, 18 4:59 pm
Anon_grad2.0

are you sure schools in the uk? 

Wouldn’t you be paying int’l fees, unless you have British citizenship. The cost of living would also offset whatever money you think your saving. 

Why are you only looking at private schools?

There are great state schools that offer a five year professional program and are affordable. 

Why not go to a state school and then study abroad in Europe?

Jul 27, 18 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
gnaf

I'm not only looking at private schools. I do know that I need to pay international fees for UK schools, it's just that it's still cheaper than private schools in US therefore I might take that into consideration, like if this is possible. 

Jul 28, 18 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

Your criteria should be "cheaper than school in the US". Not "cheaper than PRIVATE schools in the US". Your missing the point. Having gone to two private uni's for undergrad/grad studies, I don't feel I was better or worse off than someone who didn't have that privilege. Like I said, find a state uni with a BArch and study abroad for a year...

Jul 29, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Do you not qualify for financial aid in the USA?  Most students at private colleges in the US receive financial aid and are not paying the full published prices of tuition and fees.

Jul 28, 18 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: