Archinect
anchor

Career Advice: Construction Management vs M.Arch

ninaddeole

I have finished my B.Arch and been working since 6 months now. I am an Indian. I wish to go abroad (probably Canada, Australia, USA) for post grad. I wanted to get insights about construction management course and M.Arch.

What are the job opportunities after these two courses?

Which country (Australia, Canada, USA) according to you would offer the best job prospects?

What are the job profiles for an M.Arch graduate and a construction management graduate? 

Jul 20, 18 1:50 pm
archi_dude

I would vote Australia because they are more laid back and actually vacation.

I’m a licensed architect that now is in construction management, here’s my take.

Both are stressful. However the stress in architecture is self inflicted from needless design changes and bad communication and training on the design team = frustration. The stress in CM is caused by the fact it’s a complex job that every decision or delay is dollars right then and there = sense of accomplishment. 

Moral is very low in architecture, overworked, underpaid ( most laborers on my site make significantly more than job captains) any mistakes you make in a firm are turned into proof you aren’t as genious as the all knowing prinicipals and head designers. In CM mistakes happen all the time but you joke and laugh it off, if you’re a cusser and a screamer your crews will walk, you don’t inspire anyone by screaming or putting them down.

Human interaction is very low for the first 12 years of being in architecture, now my job is 90% interaction with mostly fun, down to earth people.

Creativity. After almost 10 years experience and a license I still had to ask for permission on where to lay out control joints in a sidewalk = zero creative outlet in architecture. In the first month of CM I made way more creative decisions in figuring out correct details for RFI’s than I ever did in architecture. Also, staging equipment, sequencing subs and keeping submittals on track is a creative game in its own. I’d vote CM. Oh yeah, pay is way better too. 

Jul 20, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
ninaddeole

Thank you sir for the insight. Could you tell me what is the job scenario after completing construction management course in Australia?

Jul 24, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: