Archinect
anchor

Recruiters: a sign of the times?

joseffischer

I had lunch with a few people at the office since we all had our reviews recently and it came up that we're all being headhunted pretty hard.  I made the off-hand comment that I hadn't seen this much action (including daily phone calls at work "Are you or someone you'd recommend interested in x job opportunity?") since 2006.  Anyone else seeing a large uptick in recruiting and/or have thoughts about whether we're overheated right now and could expect a correction/dip in demand for architectural service in 2019/20?  You don't really want to be the person who was just hired when companies start letting 5-10 people go at a time.

Jul 16, 18 10:22 am
Non Sequitur

It's been a few weeks since I've received one of those calls or linked-in messages but back during the winter months... it was pretty annoying.  I asked around a bit and it turns out there was a large A&E firm trying to pry talent from the smaller commercial offices since no one with experience was available or applying to them.

Methinks it's cyclical (at least here) given the lack of experienced PM architects in the 10y exp range.  Too many clueless millennial dreamer designers and little patience to carry the cost of their education.

Jul 16, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Bench

That market is a bit of an anoymaly though, isnt it? With the West Block management firms basically scooping up literally anyone who can open a CAD drawing, most of the principles I know in the area have said they cannot get someone even with 2-years experience of any sort. Ive ferried a few friends already to the contacts I have, but its certainly an employee's market.

On the recruiter's - I get a few messages every week, but Im always more amazed at the general lack of professionalism and overall incompetence that most of these individuals display (let alone that the offers are never particularly attractive). I think the most amazing one was for some sort of electrical engineering project management role that I received recently, which was unabashedly a large-scale spamming offer to anyone with "CAD" listed in their linkedin profile.

Jul 16, 18 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^You're likely correct, the massive 10y + light rail work in my backyard is also not helping this as well. I've had fun with a few recruiters... specially when they come in asking for sketchup experience. That west block project is what, 25y at least?

Jul 16, 18 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

About 2-3 times a month, they don't seem to be letting up.

Jul 16, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Same. I get a few per month, but the kinds of firms they describe typically do not appeal to me.  I've also thought about moving to a bigger city nearby, but not looking to be on the chopping block when there's a downturn.  

Jul 16, 18 11:09 am  · 
 · 

since 2006

Notice a cyclic pattern here?

Jul 16, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

I know this is a problem and our firm is losing work because we can not find people. We also chose not to use a recruiter because of the cost which may end up changing if we continue to have open positions. (our work is not glamorous)  

Also this may not be a signal of the next recession because the last recession came with a period of wage growth and some uptick in inflation. The wage growth is low and inflation, apart from housing cost, seems to be low. If housing is still needed and multi family housing is the economical way to house folks in the city where they want to or need to live we should still be OK as a profession.

You should always prepare for the next down turn, things I recommend if you are concerned about the future:

Pay off debts starting with the bills/debts with the smallest balance first so you have more flexibility if you have to go down to minimum payments.  

Build up at least a months savings that can cover all of your bills and expenses.

Use your health insurance while you have it, don't get too busy to skip your annual checkups.

Maintain your portfolio and network spend a few hours each week on this so everything is in place if you should need it.

I think things are still going well in the multi family housing market where I am doing code reviews and states like Florida, Texas, California, Colorado and North Carolina are growing along with cities like Chicago, Minneapolis St. Paul, Atlanta, Louisville, Nashville and Seattle are also growing and have a serious backlog of housing demand despite the major construction that is under way or coming online.

I think retail and hospitality are not doing so well, and government work is slowing as referendums fail and residents revolt against tax increases.

Just my thoughts but I think things are still positive and should be OK if our president can keep us out of a war or some other calamity.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jul 16, 18 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: